Board logo

Quality of welding.
Anglia66 - 8/9/06 at 06:15 PM

How do they check the quality of the welding?

JoelP - 8/9/06 at 06:25 PM

looks alone unfortuantely. Not much else they can do cheap!

ch1ll1 - 8/9/06 at 06:27 PM

my father inlaws says they might hit it with a big hammer
but then hes not a full pack of cards

Danozeman - 8/9/06 at 07:40 PM

THey do crack tests etc on them. Ie hit it with a hammer and see if the weld breaks. Also cut the weld in half and see how far its penetrated..

Simon - 8/9/06 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anglia66
How do they check the quality of the welding?

They give a visual inspection. If you're concerned your welding isn't up to scratch (should we be too, as fellow road users?), I'd suggest getting it professional welded.

ATB

Simon

Anglia66 - 8/9/06 at 08:51 PM

With 26 years experience I'm not at all concerned about the quality of my own welding but was merely curious about how they tested it on a painted or powder coated chassis.

DIY Si - 8/9/06 at 08:53 PM

They're not allowed to destructievly test the chassis for a fairly obvious reason. A sample of your/the welding on the chassis may be better, but otherwise it's purely on looks!

thunderace - 8/9/06 at 09:56 PM

AN EASY WAY TO TELL IF USEING A MIG IS TO DO A LINE ON A 3MM PLATE AND TURN IT OVER IF YOU DONT HAVE AN EVEN BLUE ISH LINE ON IT YOU KNOW YOUR NOT DOING IT RIGHT AND DO A LAP JOINT USEING 2 BITS OF 3MM TACK ONE SIDE THEN WELD THE OTHER THEN DO THE OTHER PUT IN IN A VICE AND GIVE IT A KICKING IF IT CRACKS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.OR DO A NIGHT COLLEGE COURSE.ITS CHEAP

DIY Si - 8/9/06 at 10:00 PM

NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!