Board logo

fly off handbrake
oadamo - 4/10/07 at 09:45 PM

will they pass the sva and mot.
ive seen a nice stainless steel one.
adam

NeilP - 4/10/07 at 10:10 PM

Morgan's have them so I don't see why not...

madrallysport - 4/10/07 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
adam

I failed mot with one before in a rallycar, I know mot is different over here in NI but, i'd check first, some however arm fly off but have a button to hold them on (no rachet in them). Hope this helps a little.

madrallysport - 4/10/07 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
adam

I failed mot with one before in a rallycar, I know mot is different over here in NI but, i'd check first, some however arm fly off but have a button to hold them on (no rachet in them). Hope this helps a little.

VinceGledhill - 4/10/07 at 10:18 PM

They are fitted to Jags, I had one on the cobra and it passed SVA and MOT no problems.

Handbrake has to hold the vehicle. It doesn't matter if it's down when it's "on"

nitram38 - 5/10/07 at 03:03 AM

OK as long as they are not hydraulic

britishtrident - 5/10/07 at 06:32 AM

They should pass but chances are a tester will have never seen one before.

thunderace - 5/10/07 at 08:20 AM

they must me machanical not hydraulic.
(most mot station will not know this.)
the trick is to fit both to the same lever .

rallyingden - 5/10/07 at 10:53 AM

If you fit both you have to disconnect Hydraulic for MOT.

RD

speedyxjs - 5/10/07 at 12:04 PM

Sorry but what is a fly off handbrake?

AdamR - 5/10/07 at 12:53 PM

A fly-off handbrake lever has no ratchet in it. They are used in rally cars for easier handbrake turns - easier as you just have to grab the lever rather than hold in the button to keep the ratchet disengaged. To lock the handbrake on you pull it up and press the button. To release you just have to pull up slightly.

[Edited on 5/10/07 by AdamR]

matt_claydon - 5/10/07 at 01:15 PM

When competing in autotests I use gaffer tape to convert my handbrake to a fly-off! Works a treat - you just have to remember to leave in gear when parked

Peteff - 7/10/07 at 05:03 PM

Mine on my mini had a reversed ratchet in it so you press to apply and lift to release. If you leave the car for MOT remember to tell them as they stick if pulled on too far with the thumb pressed. You then have to slacken the cable off to release it (Don't ask)

[Edited on 7/10/07 by Peteff]