Board logo

Vauxhall engine dating letter
striker16v - 22/2/08 at 07:34 AM

Hi all,

Has anyone succsesfully received a engine dating letter from vauxhall?

Im at the end of my Striker build and have already contacted Vauxhall and sent a cheque off, but have never had a response (they have never cashed the cheque either). I've tried contacting them again with little joy or assistance in the information they require to provide a letter.

any help or information would be gratefully received

Will

strikerxe - 22/2/08 at 12:58 PM

Hi

Another good choice of engine for the Striker I received an engine dating letter from Vauxhall, about 3 years ago, chaps name was Jonathan Bell IIRC . Might still have his phone number somewhere .

John

striker16v - 22/2/08 at 02:36 PM

Hi

Just so happen's i've had a reply from vauxhall today (jonathan Bell). Price of engine dating letter has gone upto £70

They require the full 8 digit engine number and code. Slight problem in that the last digit on my engine is damaged!

It's a C16XE so it's pre 95 just, and although I proberly could get it to run lean enough for sva i'd like to give my self a chance of passing emissions.

I could restamp a number on the block and hope it matches to vauxhall's computer system, what do you think?

Will

strikerxe - 22/2/08 at 03:52 PM

Blimey thats gone up

Have you got the V5 for the car the engine came from ? Would that not do as proof of age ? V5 should also have the correct engine number on it .

John

NS Dev - 22/2/08 at 06:57 PM

Ah another XE in leicestershire then!!

Mines the 2.0 but 1600 a good choice too, better power to weight of engine.

I never used a letter from vauxhall, I used the engine donor's V5 as proof. For £70 you'd about get a dead astra

chriscook - 22/2/08 at 07:09 PM

I have a very knackered c20xe block but for which I also have a nice letter from Vauxhall confirming it was made in 1990 if anyone is interested.....

striker16v - 22/2/08 at 07:28 PM

made the fatal mistake of buying it from a scrap yard, so no V5. All I know is it came out of a corsa GSI.

Its been stripped and rebuilt by exon race engine's, running throttle bodies and DTA

SVA is the final hurdle

Will