Board logo

Couple of brake queries
tegwin - 23/2/08 at 03:54 PM

25 days till SVA and counting

1. Is it acceptable to use the re-useable compression type brake fittings on flexis for the SVA?

2. I have a rather heavy robinhood kit car with sierra master cylinder and sierra disks and callipers front AND rear...

I currently dont have any form of bias/balance valve to stop the rear wheels locking up, is this going to be vital for the SVA?

And if so, what is the simplest cheapest brake balancing solution that will pass SVA?

Chears.

mookaloid - 23/2/08 at 04:19 PM

my indy passed with discs front and rear with no bias valve but I was using larger Xr4i discs at the front.

Not sure which type of fittings you mean for the flexi hoses.

Cheers

Mark

tegwin - 23/2/08 at 04:23 PM

Its a pain really..the first set of hoses I bought from the supplier came with swaged ends...so no problems there...

This latest set are made up from these re-useable fittings...less than ideal!

RazMan - 23/2/08 at 05:47 PM

I used those without any problems

02GF74 - 23/2/08 at 06:37 PM

^^^^ hmmm.... it seems its is one those items that is up to the testers discretion as to whether it will pass.

my inspector said the only brake fitting that he wold pass are those that cannot be taken apart i.e. swaged - and he said it was a bit of a stupid criteria as you can always undo any part of the braking system anyways.

having said the, look at the SVA manual - it states the above plus has an addition that if the fitting has an inner support tube then that would pass - my insoeactor said he would need to see the fitting so you would need to have a spare and there should be some marking on it so that he can varify that the loose fitting you supply is the same as the one fitted.

whether your insoppecotr fails you on this #i cannot say but if you fit swaged fittings then you won't fail. (but need to cover the braided hose as it is deemed dangerous - apparently people can cut themselves on this!! - yes, ofcourse it is nonsense by they is the rules)

tegwin - 23/2/08 at 06:51 PM

Chears for that.

Can I use self amalgamating electrical loom tape to cover the pipes?

I think I might send them back to the supplier and insist they do them properly!

I was expecting swaged ends...so thats what I want to pay for!

Anyone have any idea atall about the brake bias issue mentioned in the 1st post?

[Edited on 23/2/08 by tegwin]

RazMan - 23/2/08 at 11:34 PM

I think the balancing issue will depend on the results of the brake test during SVA. As long as there is enough braking force then you should pass. The tricky bit is balancing it for track use and without a bias bar you will have to change the bore size of the master cylinder to make any difference - failing that you could fit a compensator which will limit the force applied to the rears. This must however be locked and not adjustable to make Mr SVA happy.

tegwin - 23/2/08 at 11:35 PM

What compensator valve to people usually fit?

Any tips on making it SVA compliant?

wicket - 23/2/08 at 11:48 PM

If the fitting are this type then they should be OK, mine passed without any problems Rescued attachment Goodridge fitting type 6.jpg
Rescued attachment Goodridge fitting type 6.jpg

Ian D - 24/2/08 at 04:33 PM

You can use the Sierra bias valve. It needs to be mounted at 30% to the horizontal and facing front to back. If you look in my picture achive there is a picture of one fitted. I put mine in the front next to the master cylinder so that it was easy to get at.

On you second point about the brake hoses I changes my swaged ones for the self assemply ones and they passed no problem. To comply with the SVa requirments I covered the pipes using used clear plastic tubing which I longitutinally slottted to got over. The tester was more that happy with this. I have left the tubing on as it will give me an early warning should the brake hose rub.

Hope this helps

Ian.