Board logo

Do the indicators need to self cancel for SVA?
Blue Fox - 6/6/08 at 10:15 AM

As above really? I want to remove everything from the sierra column but want to know if I'll then need to sort out self cancelling indicators which will probably mean I won't bother.

ash_hammond - 6/6/08 at 10:25 AM

No i dont think they do. I removed all the switch gear from my column and have a three position switch instead which obviously does not self cancel.

nib1980 - 6/6/08 at 10:36 AM

No mine didn't and I passed no problems

02GF74 - 6/6/08 at 10:38 AM

i don't think so either - likewise for MOT - at MOT you can't test unless you went round a corner!

people have got 7's with a toggle switch.

BUT your must have a telltale to show the indicators are on - either visual i.e. lamp or aural i.e. beeper. I would recommend former as you probably won't hear a beeper in a 7 and lamps weigh less.

BenB - 6/6/08 at 10:59 AM

No self-cancelling needed.
Some people just use three position toggle switches.
As said, a tell-tale is necessary (though you can have one lamp for "indicators" ie you don't need a seperate L and R lamp)....

britishtrident - 6/6/08 at 01:05 PM

You can get self canceling indicator switches that cancel after a set time but they tend to be quite ugly.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/3084~Traficator+switch+(without+warning+lamp)-details/

also see ebay item 160247337718 --- clockwork type fits through dash.

[Edited on 6/6/08 by britishtrident]

chockymonster - 6/6/08 at 02:56 PM

I used a signal dynamics unit.
It has timers depending on how long you press the indicator switch for, they cancel if you press the button again or if you press the opposite indicator button.

Really easy to wire up, one press of the indicator = lane change flash.
two second press of the indicator = waiting at junction to turn flash

Both indicators together = constant hazards

My indicator switches are on the steering wheel as small push buttons.

GeorgeM - 6/6/08 at 04:47 PM

did you build or buy the circuit?

GeorgeM

oops - just found them

[Edited on 6/6/08 by GeorgeM]