Board logo

MOT or No MOT
david4 - 28/8/08 at 08:38 PM

I have recieved my V11 to Tax my Kit car that I built this year. It has been registered for 6 months and now need re- Taxing. My car has no Mot and is on a E reg plate. I have tried to Tax on-line and it is saying that my car has no valid MOT so I can't Tax on-line. Will I have to Mot this car before Taxing or will I just be able to tax my car at the post office. The V11 is requesting an MOT certificate. As I understood this build is classed as a new even on and old plate

Paul TigerB6 - 28/8/08 at 08:45 PM

Correct - you shouldnt need an MOT for 3 years and this comes up often. Try a search on the best way to approach this at the Post Office

ReMan - 28/8/08 at 09:01 PM

Presumably it was SVA'd a year ago?
If so no MOT required for 3 years..

Just for interest, doid you have it MOT'd pre SVA?

Paul TigerB6 - 28/8/08 at 09:04 PM

Cant be on the MOT database as it was only registered 6 months ago (unless it took more than 6 months from MOT till registration) as an MOT done prior to SVA would still be valid now.

Mal - 28/8/08 at 09:12 PM

My re-taxing form also said that I needed an MOT a year after the SVA test, but I sucessfully taxed the car via the automated phone system without one.

david4 - 28/8/08 at 09:12 PM

Have only had car SVA'd in 25th January 2008 no MOT. DVLA sent Tax for 6months on 1st March.

eddie99 - 28/8/08 at 09:22 PM

Weird, the sva is suppose to cover 3 years worth, before it should need its first Mot

david4 - 28/8/08 at 09:30 PM

Just tried to tax on the automated phone service wouldn't let me do it. Have just notice the vehicle registration date is the 01/03/2008 but the V5 was not registered until 10/04/08 so I'm wondering if it takes up to six months for valid info to take effect if this is causing the problems

Paul TigerB6 - 28/8/08 at 10:17 PM

Should be done straight away - certainly wont be 6 months delay thats for sure.

Have a look through some other threads - says so many times that its 3 years from date of registration which is the date on your V5.

link

and here

david4 - 28/8/08 at 10:27 PM

Thank,s for the help every one i will try the post office in the morning.I will let you know how i get on!

Benzine - 28/8/08 at 10:48 PM

Some post offices I went to wouldn't let me tax it. In the end a small village one would after I explained to them the date of first reg. You just have to keep pestering them/explain it