Board logo

Trailing arms / panhard rod
Jasper - 22/7/02 at 06:41 PM

What's the best material to make these from, I've seen them in 3/4' & 1' tube, and 1' RHS. Does it matter??

Alan B - 22/7/02 at 07:18 PM

I know my build is different but I do have loads of links at the back and I used 1" dia x 16g for mine. Some ends have inserts for Heim/rose joints and some ends have short bushes for rubber or poly bushes (i.e. book style)

I think if the welds are good all those options would be fine. So IMO, no it doesn't matter that much.

ChrisW - 22/7/02 at 07:21 PM

Mine are 3/4" tube, as I'm sure you saw on Sunday. Can't see that it would make much (if any) difference.

Chris

merlin - 22/7/02 at 07:35 PM

You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section. Tell me how much you need and I'll throw it in with the order!

Ian Pearson - 22/7/02 at 08:09 PM

Jasper,

Nissan Bluebirds have adjustable trailing arms that are perfect. I made my panhard rod from one as well.

Regards, Ian.

interestedparty - 22/7/02 at 08:26 PM

quote:
You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section.

I thought RHS stood for Rectangular Hollow Section

John

Alan B - 22/7/02 at 08:28 PM

quote:
You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section

Hmmm... correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought it was:

RHS - rectangular hollow section
SHS - square hollow section
CHS - circular hollow section

and I don't really think any of this applies to us really. I'm sure the 1" square we use is just 1" square ERW tubing I'm sure all the "HS" sizes all start at bigger sizes and are all metric IIRC.

Yeah, sorry just being pedantic I know, but I did use to buy a lot of steel.

merlin - 22/7/02 at 08:49 PM

OK OK! I was only trying to wind him up!
He was going to use solid bar at one point!

Alan B - 22/7/02 at 09:02 PM

I knew you were joking

BTW, if anyone is interested sizes of all available RHS, CHS, and SHS can be found at http://www.channelwelders.co.uk/Products.htm

You will see as I said earlier that these are really just the thicker sections (i.e. 25 x 25 only starts at 2mm thick) What we really use is 1" square ERW tubing (some HR some CR)

Jasper - 22/7/02 at 09:20 PM

Solid Bar - I wouldn't do I thing like that!!

PS Merlin, cancel that order, ya big snitch!... Thanks for chucking in the extra tubing, I'm sure you know how much I need, can you add any extra 30mm tube for the bush ends for the rods as well to take the MK bushes, saving me getting it elsewhere?? Don't want much do I..