Board logo

'Split rim' wheels - leaking air, any recommended fixes?
Wingnut - 29/1/09 at 08:45 AM

Hi All,

I'm running some Image split rims that are a couple of years old. I found the Rear was leaking air, at a reasonable rate caused by a couple of the bolts holding the rims together coming loose.

My head tells me the best fix is to get the tyre popped off & 'split' the rims & re seal.

Question is what do I use as a 'gasket' between the rims?? Silicone or similar?

Part of me wants to just let off a can of tyre weld & then re tighten the bolts...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mr Whippy - 29/1/09 at 08:57 AM

I had the same problem with my lambo ones. Split the joint and use some thing like this

around the O-ring. Mines been fine since and the paste keeps the salt out the joint.

[Edited on 29/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

designer - 29/1/09 at 09:13 AM

We just taped the inside of the wheel.

Phil.J - 29/1/09 at 09:14 AM

I've used silicone as a jointing medium on all the ones I've previously owned. Never had a leak in 30+ years.

thunderace - 29/1/09 at 09:57 AM

i used black roofing silicone fron the £1 shop worked great very rubbery i first used normal silicone and they all leaked

Davey D - 29/1/09 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
i used black roofing silicone fron the £1 shop worked great very rubbery i first used normal silicone and they all leaked

Wow! those are some posh looking rims

Mr Whippy - 29/1/09 at 10:21 AM

mine and with racing 295's on the back too Rescued attachment 001wheels.JPG
Rescued attachment 001wheels.JPG

speedyxjs - 29/1/09 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace

Il bet they take a while to clean