Board logo

Is this ok?
ChrisW - 4/8/02 at 02:34 PM

[img]/upload/column.jpg[/img]

Bit worried about my "new" collapsable steering column, mainly because it looks like it's collapsed already! Shouldn't the concertina type bit be streched out? Is it still ok?

Cheers, Chris.

Alan B - 4/8/02 at 02:36 PM

Chris the picture isn't showing.

ChrisW - 4/8/02 at 03:06 PM

Duh! Sorry.. my fault!

Chris

john_s - 4/8/02 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Bit worried about my "new" collapsable steering column, mainly because it looks like it's collapsed already! Shouldn't the concertina type bit be streched out? Is it still ok?

Mine's in the same state.

I think the concertina bit should be expanded.

What do others think?

John.

chrisg - 4/8/02 at 05:43 PM

What car is it off?

Couldn't you have a look at one "in situ"?

Cheers

Chris

ChrisW - 4/8/02 at 08:08 PM

A Sierra. Anyone got one who could check?

Cheers, Chris

fastenuff - 4/8/02 at 08:25 PM

to me it looks like it has already done it job. Looking at my own of which i'm sure that isn't colapsed the bottom black pipe looks different. will make a pic tomorrow and you can compair yourself

scutter - 4/8/02 at 09:19 PM

That has had it, my steering columns collapsable section is over 6" long. sorry to bring bad news

merlin - 4/8/02 at 09:56 PM

another good tell tale sign Chris is the teeth marks in the steering wheel! I have to agree with scutter, it's shagged mate.

ChrisW - 4/8/02 at 10:14 PM

ARSE!! I shall be taking this up with Mr Conrod...

BTW anyone got a spare one of those concertinas? (I assume it'd be ok with a new one of those?)

Chris

johnston - 4/8/02 at 10:24 PM

i have a couple of columns outta fiestas and mk3 escy and there all "expanded" 2 did u not see the car it came outta????

theconrodkid - 4/8/02 at 10:32 PM

Chris,all the items i sell are covered with a life time gaurantee,ill sort another one out for you,ps hows my crypton psu?

ChrisW - 5/8/02 at 10:22 AM

quote:
did u not see the car it came outta????

Yeah, I took it out - and yes, it was crashed. I just didn't expect such a light crash to have crushed the column! Nevermind.

Conrod - good to hear about the guarantee! If you've got one lying around it'd be good but no worries if not. I need a trip to the scrappy anyway!

Chris

James - 5/8/02 at 12:45 PM

I'm sure you've thought of this but just in case...

You're column looks a bit different than mine (ooh sir). And what I notice is that black lever next to the spring mechanism.
Also, that the part you're highlighted looks a little too uniformly crumpled?
This isn't an adjustable length column is it? It's not possible that it's just currently in 'compressed' state? Have you tried clamping the bottom of the column, pulling this lever and extending it?

Just a thought- I'm probably talking gibberish though!!!

James

ChrisW - 5/8/02 at 01:32 PM

Yes, it is adjustable. Does the adjustment come from the concertina? All the lever does is release the top 'bolt' to allow the top part of the column to move.

Chris

stephen_gusterson - 5/8/02 at 02:13 PM

the adjustment is for angle, not for 'reach'.

atb

steve

ChrisW - 5/8/02 at 02:26 PM

It did adjust in/out on the car it came out of but possibly that was because it was already knackered! I might investigate whether it's possible to extend it again.. what's the worst that could happen?

Chris

Metal Hippy™ - 5/8/02 at 02:45 PM

You could of course crash and burn....

stephen_gusterson - 5/8/02 at 06:42 PM

hey hippy.....stay outa my territory.

im the group pessimist!

atb

steve

bob - 5/8/02 at 07:17 PM

Chris
I've got the same column as you,and mine looks exactly the same as yours.
It came from a straight car so i presume this is how the adjustable ones look.
What we need is confirmation from someone clever,i wont hold my breath there though.

wicket - 5/8/02 at 08:58 PM

Is there a picture in a workshop manual ?

johnston - 5/8/02 at 09:06 PM

why dont u try your local ford mechanic if they dont no their bound to still have a genuine ford workshop manual kickin about???????

jmbillings - 9/8/02 at 11:58 AM

We got our sierra column from a straight car in a scrappy- is as the picture here. We were worried too, so checked 2 other cars- all the same, all stright. I think its the way it is meant to be- ours has a sliding section lower down which seems to be for absorbing impact, rather than the bit you circled. SVA bloke was happy with it anyway!

Dunc - 9/8/02 at 12:12 PM

I think that bit is to allow the reach of the steering wheel on the higher specd sierra's. Check further down the column for another collapsable steering member, memory says it will be between the bulkhead and steering rack when in situ in the sierra and is either a bit that brakes or a triangular tube that slides inside a round tube.

jmbillings - 9/8/02 at 01:00 PM

It was the triangular bit on ours, just on the driver side of where it goes through the bulkhead. We also have an off-centre thingy by using two uni-joints.

ChrisW - 12/8/02 at 01:44 PM

I remember the two uni-joints - will check for the triangle bit when I get home tonight. Now you mention it I have seen one before but can't remember which column it was on.

Chris