Board logo

how much ground clearance??
franky - 6/8/09 at 03:02 PM

I'm in the middle of installing a zx12 lump in my fisher fury, before I make any more mounts etc, what sort of ground clearance should I be looking for? At the minute with a shortened sump it'll be about 10cm, is that ok for road/track work?

BenB - 6/8/09 at 03:05 PM

10cm from the bottom of the sump to the ground is fine. Plenty of people on this list run on less. I run 80-90mm... No major problems (to get it onto the MOT ramp I need 90 so I just lift the appropriate end of the car then push it forward).

adithorp - 6/8/09 at 03:15 PM

I've got about 90-100mm on my fury. Just had a couple of light scuffs but those were on a very narrow road with a huge camber, big bumps and flying along. Plan on making a guard at some point.

adrian

franky - 6/8/09 at 03:16 PM

Just had a proper measure and its about 9cm..... waiting on fisher letting me know how high I can mount the engine and still get it under the bonnet!

franky - 6/8/09 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've got about 90-100mm on my fury. Just had a couple of light scuffs but those were on a very narrow road with a huge camber, big bumps and flying along. Plan on making a guard at some point.

adrian

Just out of interest, can you tell me how high your engine is above the top chassis rail? trying to work out how much room I can lift it still, another 2cm would be ideal

flak monkey - 6/8/09 at 03:18 PM

My pinto currently runs 75mm and I havent hit it on anything, though my suspension is pretty solid.

David

blakep82 - 6/8/09 at 03:22 PM

i've got about 85mm from chassis to ground. sump hangs below that... will need shortening

adithorp - 6/8/09 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

adrian

Just out of interest, can you tell me how high your engine is above the top chassis rail? trying to work out how much room I can lift it still, another 2cm would be ideal

305mm and it just clears. Thats with the LeMans bonnet.

franky - 6/8/09 at 04:01 PM

you're a star

is that 305mm right next to the left hand chassis rail? I've a le-mans bonnet too.

how far back from the bulkhead is your engine? how close to the chassis rail? sorry for all the questions but you can such a help. I get you a beer at some point.

designer - 6/8/09 at 06:14 PM

The standard used by maufacturers is 110mm, so somewhere about there should clear all 'normal' obstacles.

owelly - 6/8/09 at 08:30 PM

I have about 50mm (stop giggling at the back...) and my sump has lost most of its fins and my exhausts are battered.......