Board logo

coil overs....
merkurman - 26/3/04 at 12:57 AM

I have access to some slick racing style 9 way double adjustable coil overs but there is one missing from teh set. they have no numbers or logos that I can find on them. they are in a plain AL finish. Does this sound it is worth it? they are free if I can use them but I would like a full set of matching dampers.

so does anyone know what these might be?

my second choice is a set of Koni units that are a matching set but not as nice (no remote resivoirs)

Nick

pbura - 26/3/04 at 02:47 AM

Wonder if they might not be Aldan shocks?

You could use them on the front, something else in the back, perhaps.

Pete

merkurman - 26/3/04 at 05:37 AM

well I cna get pics tomorrow if ther eis a way to host them (never posted pics on here as I have no car yet)

so would they be first choice up front and then whatever in back or should I do the koni's all around?

well I guess time to break the xr4ti and start collectiong some parts....

nick

Peteff - 26/3/04 at 11:21 AM

Put a pair on the front, nobody can see the rear ones when the car is built anyway.

James - 29/3/04 at 10:51 AM

Merkur,

I went for the Pro-tech made ones as sold by MK in the end. I spent ages looking around for details on the internet before buying and found bugger all but they appeared to be an American company. I don't know if this is any use to you? Maybe they'd be available in the States?

HTH,

James

locoboy - 29/3/04 at 11:04 AM

Sorry for the hijack......

I have a set of AVO's on my F27, and i need some new rubbers for them. The shocks have a traditional bush and bolt fixing at the bottom but the top has a threaded spindle and 2 rubber washer/donut type things each encapsulated by a removable metal formed washer. Its the donuts that i need..........anyone got any ideas where to get them from?

[Edited on 29/3/04 by colmaccoll]

locoboy - 30/3/04 at 08:43 AM

Robbing barstewards........

AVO want £4.50 a shock for the 2 rubber donuts and 4 washers!

Peteff - 30/3/04 at 08:55 AM

Is the top of the rod threaded so you can screw them off and swap them for Rose type joints? They will cost you a bit more but should last forever.

locoboy - 31/3/04 at 12:04 PM

Pete,

The top is just an externally threaded rod with and allen key hole in the top. The rubber donuts do not thread on, it is all held on by 1 retaining nut. These are designed to be fitted to a plate with a hole in it as per enclosed sketch

Shock mounting
Shock mounting

The mounting point on my inboard suspension is a plate with a hole in it so fitting rose joints would mean re-fabricating of the mounting point

[Edited on 31/3/04 by colmaccoll]

derf - 31/3/04 at 01:40 PM

They sell them with female ends so you can stick the end in and screw it.

locoboy - 31/3/04 at 02:40 PM

quote:

so you can stick the end in and screw it. posted by Derf

I say, we are British we dont want chat like this on here old chap!

I know they are available male and female but it is the end of the top inboard rocking arm that would physicaly need re making to allow fitment of a suitable bracket to take the rose joint and assocciated bolt.

derf - 31/3/04 at 06:23 PM

Sorry "screw it in"

DrEagle - 26/4/04 at 09:18 PM

I have a set of GAZ coil overs - from a sierra i think.

They are leaking oil and i want them serviced as i cant afford new ones.

Any ideas where i can get this done?

I am in Peterborough and would perfer a local company to do them.

thanks

[Edited on 26/4/04 by DrEagle]