Board logo

Hybrid lobro/tripod joint failure??
BEN99W - 18/3/10 at 09:44 AM

I know a few members are using rear ends with a hybrid of lobro joints inboard and push-in tripod joints out board. Has anyone experienced joint failure with such a hybrid set-up.

I have recently adopted this set up only to have it fail after about 100 miles (both tripod and CV shattered) but I suspect this was because of a duff CV.

Before I fix it I want to know if my experience was a one-off or if the concept is flawed...

Cheers

Ben

andyharding - 18/3/10 at 09:51 AM

I started building this solution and abandoned as I decided the concept was flawed.

The tripod joints need to be in compression to work properly, the lobro joints are designed to be floating so one way other the other one of the joints is not being used as designed.

adithorp - 18/3/10 at 10:28 AM

As said above the Sierra tripod joints are spring loaded so rely on the 2 ends acting against each other and centralising.

I have Sierra outboard and Freelander inboard. Both tripod joints but the Freelander aren't sprung. That resulted in both joints being pushed fully inward towards the diff'. This meant that the joints were at the max of thier movement giving play in the Sierra one (bearing almost out of the joint) and noise from the Freelander (bearing hitting the bottom of slots). I modded my outer joint with an extra spring (between the plastic cup and tripod) so that it centralised itself. Result are good with less noise/backlash.

adrian

PS. welcome to the madhouse.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by adithorp]

[Edited on 18/3/10 by adithorp]

nick205 - 18/3/10 at 12:11 PM

I was under the impression the bolt on lobro stubs are easily removed from the Sierra diff (circlip on the inside?).

Wouldn't it be easier to do that and use tripode CVs both ends of the driveshaft?

flak monkey - 18/3/10 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I was under the impression the bolt on lobro stubs are easily removed from the Sierra diff (circlip on the inside?).

Wouldn't it be easier to do that and use tripode CVs both ends of the driveshaft?

This only works if the diff is non LSD.

nick205 - 18/3/10 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

This only works if the diff is non LSD.

I am now further educated

BEN99W - 19/3/10 at 05:17 PM

So it doesn't look like anyone else has had this fail, (although admittedly none has said they're using it without problem either).

However it has just occured to me that my car was mot'd almost immediately prior to the failure and they put it onto the rollers for the brake test which I don't think you're supposed to do with an LSD.

MikeRJ - 19/3/10 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEN99W
However it has just occured to me that my car was mot'd almost immediately prior to the failure and they put it onto the rollers for the brake test which I don't think you're supposed to do with an LSD.

You can as long as you keep both rollers going. How many miles had you done before MOT?

BEN99W - 20/3/10 at 08:02 AM

You can as long as you keep both rollers going. How many miles had you done before MOT?

Both rollers were not kept going - individual wheel braking checked seperately. The MOT man has subsequently said that if it was a problem, the wheels slip and the car jumps around.

I'd done about 50 miles since doing the conversion.