Board logo

Shock Choices...
scootz - 24/3/10 at 03:40 PM

I'm needing to buy a pair of front shocks... budget probably dictates AVO, Gaz or Pro-tech. Maybe Bilsteins at a stretch.

Is there a noticeable difference in quality / performance between them?

Cheers

matt_gsxr - 24/3/10 at 03:44 PM

protech are nicest IMO

tomgregory2000 - 24/3/10 at 03:47 PM

my GAZ are shite, damper rods rusted which caused them to wee oil everywhere so i had them serviced with new rods at my cost and 2 of them are leaking agen all in less than 1000 miles

scootz - 24/3/10 at 03:49 PM

I get the impression that you're not getting on with your Gaz units then Tom?

blakep82 - 24/3/10 at 03:51 PM

hmm, the racing trucks all use Gaz, i'd have thought they'd be pretty good to have a deal like that. maybe good for a race car then, maybe not for road... i don't know what mine are. they're red, but they don't say anything on them

twybrow - 24/3/10 at 03:56 PM

Mr Procomp said to me that Protec were the best, with GAZ the next closest in terms of quality. he didn't have a lot of positive comments to say about AVO shox...

did you speak to Gaz re the rustyness? I have found them to be incredibly good at customer service...

mookaloid - 24/3/10 at 04:30 PM

Protec for me

minitici - 24/3/10 at 04:45 PM

Another vote for Protech
Like these double adjustables I just got

scootz - 24/3/10 at 04:47 PM

I'm feeling the love for Protech... wonder if I should just hold on until Stoneleigh and see if they're doing any deals!

turbodisplay - 24/3/10 at 04:49 PM

I bought gaz, mine leak oil as well. I would go for protech not much more, seem lighter and seem better.
Darren

scootz - 24/3/10 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Another vote for Protech
Like these double adjustables I just got

Do you mind me asking how much they were?

megastu - 24/3/10 at 05:30 PM

What about Nitrons,i've got them on my car easy to set up and look ace !!!

jeffw - 24/3/10 at 05:44 PM

If I give you the open and closed lengths can you get some double adjustables and then sell them to me later in the year Scootz

What are you fitting them to ? I have Protechs on my Phoenix and they are very nice, as is the customer support.

scootz - 24/3/10 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by megastu

Too pricey...

Paul TigerB6 - 24/3/10 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm feeling the love for Protech... wonder if I should just hold on until Stoneleigh and see if they're doing any deals!

I'd say speak to Matt at Procomp and get them properly valved to suit the weight of your car. Thats worth more than any discount to me which at the price they are isnt going to be huge really. Collection at Stoneleigh from Matt will probably save you in postage what you may get in discount unless they carry stocks at the show.

scootz - 24/3/10 at 06:48 PM

Cheers Paul... will give Procomp a buzz in advance.

Brommers - 24/3/10 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by megastu

This is what happened to one of my Nitron dampers.

The customer service I didn't receive also would prevent me from recommending them...

ProTechs all the way for me.

[Edited on 24/3/10 by Brommers]

scootz - 24/3/10 at 09:39 PM

Ouch!

Steve Hignett - 24/3/10 at 09:43 PM

Protech's (and Matt to Dyno them for you)

Go double adjustable if you fancy splashing out a bit...

I dislike Gaz's - If you get to Stoneleigh before you buy any, then just turn the adjuster knob on the two brands and you will immediately go for the protech's!

wilkingj - 24/3/10 at 09:56 PM

I got GAZ's...

Now I am getting worried
Mine have been on for 3 years, and are fine.
Only difference is mine are 2.25" instead of 1.9" ones. They only just fit th Viento.

Dont know if that makes any difference.

Cheers