Board logo

Modifying sierra handbrake mechanism
flak monkey - 24/4/10 at 07:37 PM

I will need to modify the handbrake mechanism on my sierra calipers, or find an alternative fitment, to fit them under the 13" CXR's I am going to fit.

I have to keep everything withing 154mm of the axle centreline

I make the handbrake lever and spring 158-160mm from the centreline so I need to squeeze 4-6mm off somewhere

Pics would be good

bigrich - 24/4/10 at 09:34 PM

David, remove the stock spring and replace with a compression spring over the cable between the lever arm and cable retainer of the caliper. you can also gain a little more clearence by bending the lever arm of the caliper down slightly.

hobbsy - 24/4/10 at 09:56 PM

I also need to do this. Where did you source the new spring? Got any photos? Thanks.

bbwales - 24/4/10 at 10:16 PM

I have just done this and got my springs from a drum brake sierra, I used the hand brake springs where the cable enters the drum, had to cut them but no probs and it seems to work fine.

Regards

Bob

James - 24/4/10 at 10:57 PM

Seconded with photo request. Having trouble picturing what you mean Bob!

Cheers,
James

bbwales - 24/4/10 at 11:05 PM

I will take some pics tomorrow and try and post them, but be warned I do have a problem with that.

Regards

Bob

JonnyS - 27/4/10 at 06:55 AM

RJK350 has just had a batch of shortened springs made with only 3 coils, I had a pair. He may have some left.

bbwales - 27/4/10 at 08:11 AM

Hi I have put a couple of pics on in my area, will try to upload them here but please don't hold your breath.

Bob

MY god I did it, the springs are from a Sierra drum brake cable.

[Edited on 27/4/10 by bbwales] Rescued attachment Brake spring1.JPG
Rescued attachment Brake spring1.JPG

hobbsy - 27/4/10 at 01:08 PM

Let me just turn my photo around so its the right way (original post above deleted): Rescued attachment rear.jpg
Rescued attachment rear.jpg

JonnyS - 27/4/10 at 05:36 PM

So you need a 3 coil spring (or spring on cable) and to bend the arm down slightly. Yours looks exactly like mine did.

hobbsy - 28/4/10 at 05:22 PM

I'm getting a pair of 3 coil springs from RJK350.

I'll post up an "after" photo when I get them fitted.

May have to just touch the outer part of the spring mech with the angry grinder (or a file).

JonnyS - 28/4/10 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

May have to just touch the outer part of the spring mech with the angry grinder (or a file).

Bending it is easy, just put a screwdriver in the hole on the arm and pull down gently.

hobbsy - 28/4/10 at 07:39 PM

Oops I'd forgotten you'd said that.

I'll do that then!