Board logo

Speedo magnets
stevem2727 - 1/6/10 at 06:13 PM

I am starting to get really annoyed with them falling off please let me no how you secure yours to the prop shaft,many thanks

blakep82 - 1/6/10 at 06:13 PM

what gearbox do you have? and what speedo?

stevem2727 - 1/6/10 at 06:16 PM

Sorry yes its a sierra box and etb clocks,thanks

blakep82 - 1/6/10 at 06:19 PM

search for 'speedo sensor' on www.burtonpower.com, and buy both things that come up. will need a bit of extra wiring done, but its a sensor that screws into the cable drive on the gearbox, then reprogram your speedo.

not exactly as cheap as new magnets right enough, but its the way i'm doing it

alexg1965 - 1/6/10 at 06:24 PM

I just used Araldite to stick them to the flange at the diff end and there's no way they're coming off

40inches - 1/6/10 at 06:27 PM

Acewell magnets screw in, I think you can buy them separately (russbost?)

flak monkey - 1/6/10 at 06:43 PM

Stuck mine on with PU adhesive and its not come off yet....

Clean the area back to bare metal, key well with 30grit emery cloth, clean with thinners, then a generous glob of PU, stick magnet down and spread up the sides as well.

[Edited on 1/6/10 by flak monkey]

stevem2727 - 1/6/10 at 06:50 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions

Werner Van Loock - 1/6/10 at 06:52 PM

i've done as above (flak), but then afterwards used fibre reļnforced tape around the prop+magnet.

The tape is with fibers lenghtwise, so no ducktape. Mine cant be torn by hand, i'll try to find what it is exactly.

it looks like this but with black top:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/235985733/Fiber_Reinforced_Tapes/showimage.html

[Edited on 1/6/10 by Werner Van Loock]

mad-butcher - 1/6/10 at 07:31 PM

If using araldite use the old style 24hr curing stuff not the quick setting stuff.
far easier to use the lobro/tripoid jont on the back that way you only need one calculation and that is the rolling circumference of the wheel.
tony

[Edited on 1/6/10 by mad-butcher]

Lars - 1/6/10 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
If using araldite use the old style 24hr curing stuff not the quick setting stuff.
far easier to use the lobro/tripoid jont on the back that way you only need one calculation and that is the rolling circumference of the wheel.
tony

[Edited on 1/6/10 by mad-butcher]

that's what I am about to do, my sensor is not picking it up from the prop when going over 30mph. (must be spinning too fast, but its only a cheap push bike sensor.)

edspurrier - 1/6/10 at 08:08 PM

Having got through 2 sensors and 6 magnets with my ETB light duty sensor, I've just got the heavy duty bolt counter and I wich I hadn't bothered with magnets.

BenB - 1/6/10 at 08:42 PM

Unless your magnets are seriously heavy if they come off it suggest a lack of prep on the shaft beforehand. Araldite 24 is pretty strong stuff. I managed to hold 8kg on a 2*4mm contact area. I'm sure there's an equation for centrifugal force involving propshafts and magnets and resulting g-force but I don't know it

beaver34 - 1/6/10 at 09:46 PM

i run mine to the front wheel, there is a hole in the upright directly inline with the wheel hub bolts , pick up from wheel hub bolts, took 2 mins to put in works perfect

mad-butcher - 2/6/10 at 07:49 AM

mine 20+ trackdays 18 months on the road and still as strong as when first fitted Rescued attachment speedo pickup mount.jpg
Rescued attachment speedo pickup mount.jpg

Werner Van Loock - 13/6/10 at 06:17 PM

ditch my idea, just lost the magnet :p

though the magnets are uber strong as i retrieved it from the chassis

JoaoCaldeira - 14/6/10 at 12:35 PM

Araldite plus tape (the one with fibres)... perfect and cheap

Joćo