Board logo

Cortina/Taurus suspension.
Rorty - 4/6/04 at 08:07 AM

Can anyone please help with any of the following queries?
1/ Is the Mk. 4 & 5 Cortina front suspension is the same as any of the U.S. Taurus front suspensions?
2/ If so, which years match?
3/ What are the dimensions of the Cortina/Taurus steering rack?
4/ What's the standard Cortina/Taurus wheel offset?
5/ What's the Cortina/Taurus front track measurement?

I also require similar info in relation to Ford's Mustang. If anyone's a Mustang expert from over there I'd really appreciate some guidance.

andkilde - 4/6/04 at 01:17 PM

Hi Rorty

AFAIK Cortina and Taurus are unrelated. Taurus is a front driver, struts all round.

There was a "Taunus" way back in the early 60's -- British built, never caught on in the US market and only had a very short run. I've never seen one in the flesh but from pictures they look Cortina-like.

Cheers, Ted

[Edited on 4/6/04 by andkilde]

stephen_gusterson - 4/6/04 at 02:08 PM

my understanding is that the Taunus WAS the european version of the mk4/5 cortina

look on this page

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~hoo727/cars.html

there is a pic link of a taunus that is a ringer for a mk4/5

I know for a fact that the Taurus was made in the 90s in USA and may still be a live model name. A mid 90s model is the same as the uk 'frog' scorpio of the same time

atb

steve

Rorty - 5/6/04 at 02:27 AM

Taunus! I was close but have obviously been mixing the two names up. Thanks for the info.

I would still really like the info on the Cortina items if anyone has access to one.

jcduroc - 5/6/04 at 11:44 PM

Hi Rorty

Taunus was the "Continental European" brand for Fords in the 60ies-80ies.
Cortinas were made in UK in Mk1 & 2 form; from Mk3 onwards they were made in UK under Cortina name and in Germany under Taunus name.
Up to Mk 5 (last of the breed) they are all RWD but Mk1 &2 Cortinas were front struts and Mk3 to 5 were front double wishbone. All had rigid back axles.
Taurus (from what I understand) is an American Ford model, FWD, which has (BTW) very nice alu uprights (knuckes or whatecer) very suitable to be used in the rear.

Cheers
Joćo

Steve Hnz - 6/6/04 at 04:13 AM

Rorty, Can`t help with the other stuff but I can tell you that the Mk3-5 Cortina 5.5" wheels were ET38, been there, measured them. Cheers, Steve.

Rorty - 6/6/04 at 08:02 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.