Board logo

Jaguar coilovers
MustangSix - 29/8/02 at 12:41 PM

Can anyone tell me what the approximate spring rate is on these? Has anyone had any success using them either front or rear?

Thanks much

Alan B - 29/8/02 at 12:54 PM

Jack, sorry I can't answer your question.
I did notice that you're in Orlando, I guess you must know Jim McS ?
I'm on the East coast between Vero and Melbourne

MustangSix - 29/8/02 at 01:20 PM

Jim and I have been colaborating. He lives just a few miles from me and has mentioned your name a couple of times. We'll all have to get together someday (preferably after I've made some progress). I'm still in the hunter/gatherer stage.

I'm just trying to see if I can use these cheap Jag units.

Alan B - 29/8/02 at 02:03 PM

quote:
.....I'm just trying to see if I can use these cheap Jag units.

I'm almost certain someone on here has used them. I suppose worst case you could always swap the springs? They always seem readily available in various rates.

Alan B - 29/8/02 at 02:06 PM

I remembered

http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

MustangSix - 29/8/02 at 03:10 PM

Thanks, those actually look like they fit pretty well. As Jim said, we may have to use them on principle, simply because I got them for so little.

ewanspence - 29/8/02 at 03:30 PM

Jack,

I have used them, can't say if they are successful yet. They are a bit soft (I think they are around 160 Ibs) but I plan to replace the springs (around £15 each) and much later with a set of spax adjuastables for an XJ6 (around £50 each).

The main probalem I had was due to the front driveshafts and the larger diamater springs, but they should fit a standard front with ease.

Mine too were too cheap to pass up £10 for the 4.

Ewan.

MustangSix - 29/8/02 at 04:53 PM

Mine were $10 for the set of four.

160 may be too soft for the front, but just about right for the rear.

On the front, what length did they settle to once you set the engine and drivetrian in?

ewanspence - 4/9/02 at 10:58 AM

Finally rememebred to measure the compressed length --- 320mm this is with the Ford v6 lump, large g/bos with transfer box, front diff/drive shafts and front prop.

Ewan

MustangSix - 5/9/02 at 09:33 PM

Looking at the pictures of yours and comparing with mine, there seems to be a difference in size, leading me to question what kind of shocks I may actually have here.
Mine appear to be somewhat shorter, with the body of the shock not protruding so far below the lower spring seat with a total length from eye to eye of roughly 13" (330mm)and a spring height of 9.5" (241.3mm). Also, the outer diameter of the spring seems smaller. Mine are approx. 3.375" (86mm) outside diameter.

ewanspence - 6/9/02 at 10:58 AM

Here is a link to a page with the jag coilovers.

I took them off the car myself so I know they are xj6 parts.

http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/coilover.jpg

MustangSix - 6/9/02 at 11:26 PM

Sorry, ewen, but that seems to be a bad link. Geocites will not allow me to view the jpg directly. Is it on a particular page?

Metal Hippy™ - 6/9/02 at 11:58 PM

Geocities don't like hyperlinking, so they stopped it.

Try here....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos/cgi-bin/showpic.pl?front_suspension2.jpg

Hope you don't mind Ewan...

ewanspence - 10/9/02 at 08:59 AM

Thanks

I have added the sketch to the photos archive. Called it coilover.

Ewan.

MustangSix - 11/9/02 at 01:48 AM

Mine are a good bit different it seems. Borrowing your image, I have:

I think they are perfectly usable though.

ewanspence - 11/9/02 at 09:15 AM

They sound more suitable than the Jag ones. Nearer the books dimensions.

As long as you can easily spec them when they need replaced.

MustangSix - 11/9/02 at 05:09 PM

They have Girling part numbers on them. The uncompressed springs are almost identical in dimension to off-the-shelf 10" coil over springs, so it looks like I'm in good shape with these.