Board logo

Length od Sierra driveshafts - do they need modifying
sg_frost - 5/2/12 at 09:22 PM

I have seen a guy on ebay who is selling rear wishbones that are 10mm longer than the book so that standard sierra driveshafts can be used. What is he on about, do I need to shorten my driveshafts if I build it to book spec. I am using the bolt on type of shaft if that helps.

[Edited on 5/2/12 by sg_frost]

daniel mason - 5/2/12 at 09:27 PM

plenty of movement on cv joint of a drive shaft. youll get 10mm each way no problem. dont worry

sg_frost - 5/2/12 at 09:28 PM

Thank you, will get on and make them then.

AdrianH - 5/2/12 at 09:31 PM

Which book are you working from, if the Haynes roadster, are you using the 2nd edition of the book as there was a mod to use the longer shafts?

Adrian

Edit note from pictures you are doing own chassis,

[Edited on 5-2-12 by AdrianH]

sg_frost - 5/2/12 at 09:34 PM

Book was bought last summer some time, not a clue which edition it is but it is the haynes roadster. The book is on the desk in work, the benefits of working in a motor vehicle college

That chassis in the pictures of roundtube went years ago, building a book spec one to my specs!

[Edited on 5/2/12 by sg_frost]

AdrianH - 5/2/12 at 09:56 PM

Have a look at these amendments to the book. Thought they were included in later prints, could be wrong.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

Adrian

sg_frost - 5/2/12 at 10:37 PM

They would have helped on the front frame, thanks for the info, will check the book to see.

snapper - 6/2/12 at 07:15 AM

The first book had errors one of which was the rear wishbones and or frame width.
The 10mm longer wishbones solved the problem
May not be relevant now but worth a check.
Haynes roadster forum would be the best place to ask specifics