Board logo

Single vs Double
w4lrus - 14/4/12 at 10:01 PM

Ok, I appreciate that double adjustable shocks are ultimately better than single adjustable shocks, but do you think I will appreciate the difference in my road/track day Striker? I have metalastic suspension bushes, 195x15x50 tyres front and back (probably R888s) and will be running an R1 engine.

Cost wise, double adjustables are double the price, if I go for Protech units. On one hand, I believe in a 'buy well, buy once' philosophy, on the other, there is no point in having kit that is far more capable than a) the rest of the car, and b) me.

Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.

mookaloid - 14/4/12 at 10:33 PM

the driving experience will be much better in a car with decent suspension. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Protechs.

The thing is all cars are different and if you get non adjustables then they probably wont be just quite right for your car and it will be forever a compromise.

Also you will be able to gain more experience by experimenting with different set ups and finding out what suits you best.

w4lrus - 14/4/12 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
the driving experience will be much better in a car with decent suspension. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Protechs.

The thing is all cars are different and if you get non adjustables then they probably wont be just quite right for your car and it will be forever a compromise.

Also you will be able to gain more experience by experimenting with different set ups and finding out what suits you best.

Oh, I intend to go for Protechs, regardless of the single vs double adjustable decision.

I take your point about the benefit of adjustability, I am however wondering how much adjustability I need with the set up I will have. Or maybe I need to dump the metalastic bushes and get PU bushes? Damn it, I am upgrading the car I only properly started late week

[Edited on 14/4/12 by w4lrus]

ashg - 15/4/12 at 12:05 AM

why would you only consider protec? what about nitron or bilstein plus many others?

snapper - 15/4/12 at 04:34 AM

Setting up suspension is a long and serious business, unless you are seriously committed and have some way of actually measuring what the shocks are doing I doubt you would get any benefit from double adjustables.
For road and occasional track days single adjustables, spring rates and geometry set up will keep you busy enough.

w4lrus - 15/4/12 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
why would you only consider protec? what about nitron or bilstein plus many others?

Word of mouth recommendations, and the opinion on these forums is very positive when comparing price point and performance.

w4lrus - 15/4/12 at 08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, this thread was also very useful.