Board logo

Sierra Upright Insert
Chris Green - 11/11/04 at 01:27 PM

Hello,

On the pictures I've seen of the sierra upright insert, The tapered hole for the ball joint is offset from the centre.

Is this so the caster & camber angle can be adjusted by rotating it? or is there another reason?

Thank you!

Chris.

Andybarbet - 11/11/04 at 01:40 PM

Yep, that's exactly what it's for :-)
Some do sell them with the hole in centre but this gives no adjustment, still they are a lot cheaper if you go for the centre drilled ones ??? How does that figure ? Still the same amount of work to make - i dunno !

JAG - 11/11/04 at 01:46 PM

A central hole is cheaper because you can make the whole thing in one operation on a CNC lathe.

For the off-set hole you have to take the part out of the lathe to put the off-centre hole in. This takes extra time and needs another jig and drilling machine.

Chris Green - 11/11/04 at 01:48 PM

Cheers Andy,

It isn't the same amount of work to do Andy. Although it is the same amount of machining work, the tooling would have to be set up twice for the offest hole unit.

If the hole was in the centre, it could be produced using the same setup as the outer body of the insert. All in one process.

Regards,

Chris.

EDIT: I was too slow!

[Edited on 11-11-04 by Chris Green]

Petemate - 11/11/04 at 01:59 PM

There is another (possible) reason for the hole ideally being offset - at least in the RH set-up, it avoids restrictions on suspension extension where the range of movement in the top ball joint is compromised to the point where it wont allow the 'bones to travel to the limit of the coilover.

MikeRJ - 11/11/04 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Green
Hello,

On the pictures I've seen of the sierra upright insert, The tapered hole for the ball joint is offset from the centre.

Is this so the caster & camber angle can be adjusted by rotating it? or is there another reason?

Thank you!

Chris.

And be aware that it doesn't actually adjust castor when you rotate it, only camber. Use the search engine to find many discussions of this!

JoelP - 11/11/04 at 08:20 PM

mike is correct. to adjust castor, i would use shims around the bushes to move them about. Camber, via the transit top joint. spinnig the mushroom has more effect on the kingpin angle.

Chris Green - 12/11/04 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Green
Hello,

Thank you!

Chris.

And be aware that it doesn't actually adjust castor when you rotate it, only camber. Use the search engine to find many discussions of this!

Yes of course. I've just realised that!

The actual axis of the upright doesn't change does it!

Cheers Mike / Joel.

Regards,

Chris.

[Edited on 12-11-04 by Chris Green]

quattromike - 13/12/04 at 04:47 PM

I was thinking of making an insert with a plate over hanging the the line of the insert to take the king pin angle right up more verticle + make it easier to fit the transit top link on the outside but would this be too much? anyone done this?

Mike.

locogeoff - 13/12/04 at 05:16 PM

Quattromike

Is your big locost going to be as big as your avatar

Cita - 13/12/04 at 05:38 PM

Yes of course. I've just realised that!

The actual axis of the upright doesn't change does it!

Cheers Mike / Joel.

Regards,

Chris.

[Edited on 12-11-04 by Chris Green]

can somebody explain that please.
When the insert with the off center stud/hole is moved than i thought both axis where changed,or the movement of the upper wishbone going with this change must take care of it