steve-hv8 - 28/7/15 at 07:10 PM

im in the process of trying to remove the driveshafts from my mk1 mx5 hubs
but damn they are proper seized in there
ive tried hitting the shaft but all that is doing is mushrooming the end
even tried putting some heat on the hub
what have you guys tried and what worked

steve

sdh2903 - 28/7/15 at 07:18 PM

I had the same battle. The passenger side one in particular.

Hitting? Nope. Hitting harder? nope. In the end I put the shaft upright and left soaking in penetrating oil for a few days. Then into the 12 ton press cranked up to max power and then a sharp hard tap with a lump hammer to shock it and it finally popped out.

Good luck!!

joneh - 28/7/15 at 07:19 PM

Put it back on the car to stop it turning, use the longest bar you've got with a 3m scaffold pole on the end.

Edit Arh ok thought it was the nut seized on like the sierra ones.

[Edited on 28/7/15 by joneh]

steve-hv8 - 28/7/15 at 07:22 PM

had to do that for the nut on both sides

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Put it back on the car to stop it turning, use the longest bar you've got with a 3m scaffold pole on the end.

Edit Arh ok thought it was the nut seized on like the sierra ones.

[Edited on 28/7/15 by joneh]

Talon Motorsport - 28/7/15 at 08:02 PM

Are the bearings knackered if not why bother with the aggro?

dilley - 28/7/15 at 10:55 PM

Keep the nut on the shAft to save damaging the thread! I've nt been. Eaten by one yet!

Slimy38 - 29/7/15 at 12:52 PM

I've gone through my entire build so far with the driveshafts still attached to the uprights! They simply won't budge, but then again the bearings seem ok so I'm not overly bothered.

They do need cleaning up though so I'm going to dump the whole thing in an electrolysis bath, apparently there is a reasonable chance that will help loosen it off.

coozer - 29/7/15 at 01:06 PM

Well one of mine dropped out but the other one is not giving up... Its been in the electrolysis bath... twice, has been in the vice with penetrating oil topped regular for about 6 weeks now. Broke a disc with my home made press, see my Midlana thread... And, I've walloped it with a 20lb sledgehammer...

Next step is to build a 20ton press, when I can be bothered....

PorkChop - 29/7/15 at 05:45 PM

I'll reiterate what I've said a few times before.

Sometimes not even a 50 ton press is enough.

One of the MX5 breakers I know sometimes needs to use the 50T press and heat to free the driveshafts off.

Fortunately you can buy replacement outer CV joints reasonably cheap.