Board logo

What counts as normal with locost suspension?
JoelP - 21/7/24 at 04:14 PM

I've bought new shocks, but my wishbone brackets seem small, only 24mm inside. New shocks need 32mm. I foolishly assumed everything was just standard!

The car is registered as an MK Locost so I've emailed them to check. Fingers crossed I can just get new wishbones and be done with it. Never liked the idea of 20 year old suspension anyway...

JAG - 21/7/24 at 09:16 PM

Hello again

I've recently measured the brackets on my car for the same reason - they're 38mm wide with an M12 bolt.

JoelP - 21/7/24 at 09:48 PM

My current bolts look to be 3/8 or 10mm. Which again makes me question if they're not from MK.

Fred W B - 22/7/24 at 10:26 AM

Could be that the brackets are sized to fit coilovers with spherical joints and not bushed ends. Check if the upper mounts on the chassis are the same

Mr Whippy - 22/7/24 at 11:37 AM

No such a thing as "standard" on any home built car

JoelP - 22/7/24 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
No such a thing as "standard" on any home built car

I'd put money that most people's coilovers have the same sized bushes on the end!

JoelP - 22/7/24 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Could be that the brackets are sized to fit coilovers with spherical joints and not bushed ends. Check if the upper mounts on the chassis are the same

Same size both ends. The old coilovers were bushed, but the bottom eye had been welded on in situ. With the bush melted inside!

I could just about stomach having to weld new brackets onto the bones, but the top end would be a nightmare.

jacko - 22/7/24 at 02:13 PM

You say it’s a mk locost it’s different from the mk Indy as you will already know been you 😀
Mk made locost chassis for Ron champion to start with then went on to build the Indy .
One person that can tell you would be Martin Keenan
In another post you asked about maxi ball joints they where used on Indy’s and locost used cortina four bolt ball joints

I bet you know all this already

Any photos of the car to look at

Graham

[Edited on 22/7/24 by jacko]

jacko - 22/7/24 at 02:34 PM

If you look as google images there are lots of narrow top and bottom dampers some made by Gaz who mk used

JoelP - 23/7/24 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
If you look as google images there are lots of narrow top and bottom dampers some made by Gaz who mk used

Thanks Jacko. You're quite right there, and the much easier solution is to just get the correct shocks. Cheers!