Board logo

Wilwood Midilite alternative pad options
obfripper - 26/9/24 at 01:10 PM

I've ran Mintex M1144 pads in my Midilite calipers for the last 8 years, and they have gone from~£45 to now £115-150 depending upon supplier (and my trade suppliers can't supply them any more either) for a set which is making me look at alternatives.
Mintex also now offer MRM1801/MRM1802 compounds that look to be (eventually) replacing the M1144/55 compound pads, but can't see much in the way of feedback regarding their relative performance.

I have used EBC Yellowstuff with heavier vehicles, and found them good in braking power and fade resistance but always felt somewhat wooden to me and am not sure how they might translate on a far lighter car.

The Ferrodo DS2500 seems to be well regarded, but they don't make a direct fit pad for the Midilite caliper, so a similar but thinner pad is machined to match the Midilite pattern and this bumps the price up and they don't last as long either.

The Wilwood own smart pads seem to not have a great reputation in direct comparison with the Mintex and Ferrodo alternatives and their better pads are too pricey, Hawk seem to be well rated but also look to be £250+ a set which i can't justify.

While looking through Rally Design's site, I've also seen what I assume to be their own brand pads for various Wilwood caliper models, sold as "Volpe" pads. They claim a Mu of 0.528 consistent through from cold to operating temperature which looks quite bitey, however judging a pad performance on numbers alone is probably not a good call, they are cheaper but not cheap enough to chuck away if they don't work as claimed.

Anyone got any feedback on any of the mentioned pads, or any other alternatives I've missed out that might be worthy of a look.

The Striker gets mostly road use with occasional track days, with the M1144's handling anything I can throw at them and fine when pootling around as well, so I want any replacements to be equally capable across all conditions.

Dave

adithorp - 26/9/24 at 03:44 PM

Mintex 1144 have got expensive but I'm reluctant to swap to something unfamiliar too. Never had an issue with them even caning alpine decents (tougher than track days).
Only one I can comment on is the Wilwood smart pad, which came with my brake kits... Horrific! No feel, no power.

jester - 26/9/24 at 11:08 PM

Glad someone has posted about brake pads for the striker.

It would be good to here about other people views as well

The ones on my striker are not the best.