Board logo

Brake calliper cleaning
Jumpy Guy - 6/4/05 at 03:07 PM

Whats the best stuff to clean the outside of brake callipers?

ive tried a search and cant find anything!

flak monkey - 6/4/05 at 03:10 PM

To get rid of the dust? And are they attached to anything? If not give them a bath in meths (shouldnt hurt the seals). If they are attached to the upright use a stiff brush and really soapy water.

David

tom_loughlin - 6/4/05 at 03:19 PM

if you mean rust, i used the electrolysis technique (which is great) - nothing stuck, and i didnt seal anything and they still worked fine after nearly a year! - then painted them in a high heat spray - which is crap and flaking off already. in the winter, ill strip them and pain them in propr calliper enamel.
Tom

Jumpy Guy - 6/4/05 at 03:20 PM

they're off, but covered in muck and dust..

so meths is best?

JonBowden - 6/4/05 at 03:25 PM

Most general parts shops sell brake cleaner spray. I got a can free with the brake disks I bought a while ago

flak monkey - 6/4/05 at 03:27 PM

Give em a wash first in plain old soapy water, then meths if they need it. You should find all the crap will come off fairly easily... Make sure you dry them out properly before fitting them though!....

Washing them in petrol is also a possibility i guess

David Jenkins - 6/4/05 at 03:31 PM

I used the Granville Brake Cleaner spray. Shifts most greasy & oily deposits, and safe for use inside brake components. Not expensive, and has lasted for ages.
Splendid for degreasing small parts as well - but watch out for the fumes! You'll be seeing all sorts of strange creatures if you use this stuff in a closed space.

David
(oh look - a furry pink elephant is flying round the light fitting...)

grusks - 6/4/05 at 06:38 PM

Mr musle oven cleaner, the can type. Comes out in a foam. Work the muts nuts.

Good on ali wheels as well