Board logo

sierra rear caliper problem
smart51 - 30/6/05 at 05:23 PM

how do I get the piston of my sierra rear caliper to move inwards?
the system has no brake fluid in it yet, I came to fit the rear disc and pads and they won't go in because the piston is so far out.
It is screwed in as far as it will go. I suspect that it has something to do with the handbrake.

Mr G - 30/6/05 at 06:15 PM

I put a detailed post on getting these back in then realised at the end of your post you mentioned that they wont go back any further - I took that to be you've already had a go at winding them back in.

The top of the piston near enough sits the same height as the dust seal when they are right in, do they seem like they are just turning without going anywhere?

If so you need to put pressure on the piston while trying to rotate it. We used a clamp and some grips &cloth to protect the piston.

HTH

Cheers

G

[Edited on 30/6/05 by Mr G]

britishtrident - 30/6/05 at 06:17 PM

Handbrake cable should be slack and levers on the calipers fully against the stops before you try screw the pistons back if you don't you can knacker the self adjuster.

Likewise after fitting pad,s pump the pedal with the cable slack to allow the self adjusters to run up. If cable has any tension self adjuster won't work properly.

bob - 30/6/05 at 06:42 PM

Are you using the caliper piston reset tool ?

Trying to depress the piston without the correct tool is almost impossible.

smart51 - 30/6/05 at 08:32 PM

pushing on the piston whilst turning it did the trick. thanks.

[Edited on 30/6/05 by smart51]