Board logo

Shortening Handbrake cable
NS Dev - 6/3/06 at 01:27 PM

I know there have been various posts recently on this, but I am still not sure what to do for the best re. SVA

I need to shorten my Sierra handbrake cable.

Either I can cut in the middle, shorten appropriately and then cable clamp back together

OR

I can shorten at one end and recrimp a new end piece on.

The former appeals more as I can do it myself and if the clamps slip a touch I will still have a handbrake. With the latter I will struggle to crimp the new end on myself, and if it lets go it's gone, no warning.

Sound ok??

I was thinking about using two normal cable clamps (mini versions of those used on winch cables)

ned - 6/3/06 at 01:57 PM

i did mine on friday nat. i got a new end fitting that fits with 2 grub screws perpendicular to one another. pulled the cable through, tensioned it by hand, cut the cable, screwed opn the new end and then tightened it back up with the tensioner, job done. i thought it was going to be hastle but was actually one of the easiest bits i've done...

Ned.

NS Dev - 6/3/06 at 02:19 PM

where did you get the grubscrewed end piece from Ned?

ned - 6/3/06 at 02:57 PM

mac1 had one, were very helpful.

cheers,

Ned.

NS Dev - 6/3/06 at 03:40 PM

All righty then, I'll get on the blower to em once I have a few more bits that I need to go with it!

nick205 - 6/3/06 at 05:32 PM

Nat,

I did mine like this...I'm not sure now that it's OK for SVA, but it certainly doesn't slip. Rescued attachment img_3.jpg
Rescued attachment img_3.jpg

Mr G - 6/3/06 at 06:30 PM

MK do replacement ends for the handbrake cable and i've also heard that the AA carry them about as well.

Ask a patrolman if you get the chance, you never know

Cheers

G