Board logo

rear brake problem
dr-fastlane - 7/5/06 at 04:59 PM

Hello,

5 years ago I removed the rear drumbrakes from the Sierra. Today I refitted it al. But now there is a little problem with a spring between the brake shoes. I’t scrubs a little against the dust seal of the brake cilinder. See picture below.
Have I fitted this spring right? I can’t find it in any repair manual.

Greets Roy. Rescued attachment brake1.JPG
Rescued attachment brake1.JPG

DIY Si - 7/5/06 at 05:02 PM

I think you may have the shoes in upside down. Shouldn't the tapered edge be leading on the shoes?

gary gsx - 7/5/06 at 05:08 PM

You took the words out of my mouth si, is it the o/s or n/s side roy ?

DIY Si - 7/5/06 at 05:13 PM

Looks nearside. Due to shock going to the left ie forwards.

rusty nuts - 7/5/06 at 05:15 PM

Looks like the N/S to me , the handbrake cable is to the left as is the suspension arm. That spring is in the wrong position it should go into the oblong hole that the adjustor mechanism goes through. If you look at the hole the corners are shaped to accept the spring. HTH . PS I always strip one side at a time if doing unfamiliar brakes , at least you have a reference

jeeby_man - 7/5/06 at 05:17 PM

i found these pics on someone elses build site. they might be of some help

brakes before

brakes after

britishtrident - 7/5/06 at 05:27 PM

Looking at the 1.8/2 litre rear brake drawing in Haynes manual the only thing I can see is Yellow springs don't look like they are the correct type.

britishtrident - 7/5/06 at 05:38 PM

Another look Haynes --- looks like the springs are for the other side of the vehicle -- the shoe end of the black black spring hooks in from the back plate side of the shoe to the hole that takes the adjuster as per rusty nuts post.

emsfactory - 7/5/06 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Looks like the N/S to me , the handbrake cable is to the left as is the suspension arm. That spring is in the wrong position it should go into the oblong hole that the adjustor mechanism goes through. If you look at the hole the corners are shaped to accept the spring. HTH . PS I always strip one side at a time if doing unfamiliar brakes , at least you have a reference

I'd agree with this.

dr-fastlane - 7/5/06 at 06:55 PM

The picture is from the drivers side but it is an left drive car. I also think the the spring is for the other side of the car. And the right spring should go into the hole that the adjustor goes through.
Now i’ve looked in the haynes repair Manual I found an picture of the rear hub carrier en there I can see how the spring must go. Oke, problem solved!!

Thanks car building comrades

Greets Roy. Rescued attachment brake2.JPG
Rescued attachment brake2.JPG