Board logo

Capri Power Steering and reducing the ratio.
fully sideways - 27/6/06 at 04:15 PM

I am running a 2.8i power steering rack and the 3.5 lock to lock is not quick enough, I have thought about using gears at the base of the column to reduce it to say 2.5 !!ANy other ideas please ?

nick205 - 27/6/06 at 04:26 PM

can you not change toa manual "quick" rack, it's got to be the simplest solution.

froggy - 27/6/06 at 05:36 PM

in what way is it not quick enough? if you are oversteering to that degree have a look at your suspension set up first perhaps its a grip problem ? what set up is it using?

fully sideways - 28/6/06 at 11:58 AM

that was going to be the last resport , as i would have to run an Electric power steering set up..

I was wondering if any of the other P/s capri's has a quicker ratio... Maybe of a 280 or Tickford ?

cheers Andrew

fully sideways - 28/6/06 at 04:06 PM

Hi , the problem is not the oversteering , it is the effort required to keep up with the car on stage in chicanes , hair pins etc .. It is more of a convenience thing really.....
but any ideas are welcome.

Andrew

Bob C - 28/6/06 at 05:29 PM

Someone (Rorty I think) posted a picture of a commercially available steering shaft "step up gearbox" a year ago or more - good luck with the search facility.....
Bob

fully sideways - 30/6/06 at 06:08 PM

Cheers Bob, Someone mentioned to me that it might be worth fitting a late sierra cosworth power Pack??

Anyone know anything ?
cheers Andrew