Board logo

Diff securing bolts loosening
mad dad - 8/10/06 at 02:29 PM

Basically as above it seems every time i go out i have to retighten the 4 securing bolts located around the diff.........should i loosen off, apply loctite and redo up??? any thoughts appreciated and is this common?? Thanks

scoey m - 8/10/06 at 03:23 PM

Not sure about common problem
not on road yet
On mine used thread loc + spring washers

mookaloid - 8/10/06 at 03:29 PM

Should not be coming loose every time you drive.

Are the bolts over stretched? or are the nuts just coming loose?

I have seen some use un identifiable threaded bar for diff mounting - if you have mild steel threaded bar then replace it with proper bolts as the threaded bar is probably stretching and will fail.

Other wise use nylocs with loctite or nuts and spring washers with loctite.

Cheers

Mark

mad dad - 8/10/06 at 03:34 PM

I don't think they have stretched but not sure how i would know!!! (i'm new to this!!) they have nylocs fitted and on the other end to the thread you need an allen key to hold while you tighten them. they tightem ok so think i might add loctite and see what happens...if not i suppose new ones would be the next trial, thanks for your advice anyway good to know there's some help out there......andy

smart51 - 8/10/06 at 03:35 PM

My diff is held in with nylocs. They haven't come loose in 4000 miles.

jacko - 8/10/06 at 06:14 PM

On the indy i only have two bolts about 200mm long they have never come loose in 3 years on the road
Jacko

mad dad - 8/10/06 at 07:23 PM

Definitely got 4 bolts holding a Cosworth LSD. Maybe its trying to climb out of the car!!! I will try loctite and hopefully this will cure it but would have thought the nylocs would have held it on their own.........Cheers and hope its nothing else causing it...........

rusty nuts - 8/10/06 at 07:35 PM

Doesn't the Cossie diff use two long bolts about 12mm thick with nylocks ? Suspect yours may have the wrong bolts fitted?

RichardK - 8/10/06 at 07:51 PM

They were new nylocs weren't they... Just a thought

Regards

Rich

wilkingj - 8/10/06 at 10:24 PM

I agree on that as well... Use NEW Nyloc nuts.
NEVER re-use a Nyloc nut, especially on a Mission Critical component. ie Steering, Brakes, Transmission etc.

I had the same problem. Its new nylocs AND loctite as well.

Shouldnt cone undone then.