Board logo

Sierra Brakes (Rear Disks)
mackei23b - 28/11/06 at 04:57 PM

Hi there

I made an interesting discovery tonight when I put my pads in the rear calipers, the disc was not big enough!

On looking through the information I have found that I have the early Cosworth / RS500 disc brakes and not XR4x4 as initially thought!

The disks I have are 253mm solid discs and now require 273mm solid discs if I continue to use this set up.

My question for those of you that are running 253mm solid disks what are the measurements you have from the picture below as I am wondering if it is only the caliper mounting bracket / slider that differentiates the 4x4 and Cosworth Parts?

If so then I might just change this and use my current discs / calipers.

I look forwards to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Ian

[Edited on 28/11/06 by mackei23b]

Hammerhead - 28/11/06 at 05:00 PM

Hi,
I did that too!

The difference isn't in the calipers but the hub mounting brackets that attach to your rear uprights. Some cosworth ones were spaced further that standard sierra ones.
I had already torqued up the hub nuts and didn't want to remove them so now I have 273mm rear discs.

Spin8Spin - 28/11/06 at 05:12 PM

i did it as well, i assumed it would be the caliper carying brackets that dictated the size of the disk, but after buying some new ones that definatly came off a car with 253mm disks and still had the problem i came to the conclusion that its the hub/bearing carier's that are different on the 273 disk cars, so i am to just using the bigger disks as well for now.

Matt

mackei23b - 28/11/06 at 05:12 PM

Hi there

Many thanks, that explains things, I did think of that option as well, but hoped it was the caliper.

Oh wel, looks like larger discs, where did you get yours from?

Cheers

Ian

Hammerhead - 28/11/06 at 05:14 PM

local motor factors for me. make sure you don't get the vented ones if you haven't got the larger vented calipers.

Spin8Spin - 28/11/06 at 05:27 PM

think i got mine from brakes international, thats where i've got most of my brake parts from

matt

mackei23b - 28/11/06 at 05:38 PM

Cheers

Ian