Board logo

rear drums and plate issue
jimbona2 - 13/5/07 at 02:08 AM

hi,
any ideas...? my drums and plates are not flush when fittered. Will that cause a problem or do I need to correct the plate?

any suggestions how I should do this, i tried with my tesco value hammer but reckon the plate needs something with more welley or maybe heating or something?

cheers

[Edited on 13/5/07 by jimbona2]

Avoneer - 13/5/07 at 07:23 AM

I knew this was Avon related before I even opened the post.

You need to grind off a few corners of the upright so make it flit flush.

Let's hope you haven't bent the back plate tw*tting it with a hamer.

You can just see the top corner gorund off here and I think you need to do one of the bottom ones as well:

http://www.mytigeravon.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=392

Pat...

shades - 13/5/07 at 08:14 AM

I second the grinding the upright. I had to do the same to mine to get them to fit properly...

ayoungman - 13/5/07 at 10:50 AM

Me too, 5mm off the corners. Another god piece of engineering from Tiger.....not

jimbona2 - 13/5/07 at 11:11 AM

not sure if you know what I mean as dont see how that will help. see image. grinding a corner of the upgright will correct this? Rescued attachment P10101272.JPG
Rescued attachment P10101272.JPG

Avoneer - 13/5/07 at 10:36 PM

Does the back plate fit flush? It looks like your corners have already been ground off.

Is the problem with the drum then?

If it doesn't slide on fully, maybe the pads are wrong and too wide or the handbrake adjuster mechanism wasn't all the way "in".

I think mine were a "push on with a hammer" fit.

Pat...

Avoneer - 13/5/07 at 10:37 PM

Still a bit conused, it all looks ok in the pic.

Pat...

Catpuss - 14/5/07 at 07:22 AM

Looks about the same as mine. I would have thought you don't want them touching as the drum would grind against the plate when moving. The "inner lip" of the drum would form the crud repelling type seal.

02GF74 - 14/5/07 at 11:04 AM

are the drums the correct ones? If you pull the drum out a bit, is there a smaller diameter section of the drum that fits inside the dust shiled?

If yes, then you are ok. The drums should rest against the drive falnge you should be able to measure if the drums stick out too far.

Are the drums rubbingo nteh bsack plate?

Twatting with value hammer is not a good idea - they shold slde on - remove the brake shoes in case they are fitting wrongly - doubt it.

DO NOT FIT THE WHEEL AND NUT until you have sorted it out since the forces will almost certainly dmage somefink if the set up is wrong or you end up with not being able to take it apart too

MikeRJ - 14/5/07 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Are the drums rubbingo nteh bsack plate?

Once more in English please

jimbona2 - 14/5/07 at 01:31 PM

thanks for the comments, yeah that picture makes it look good actually but it isnt that smooth up close. i'll try to get a better shot, although it wont be until the weekend.

all i can really say is that the gap as indicated with the arrow is not consistent all the way around.

Avoneer - 14/5/07 at 05:44 PM

I wouldn't worry as long as it doesn't catch.

There should be a flange of the drum that sits inside the back plate anyhow (as 02GF74 said).

IIRC, mine weren't true either.

Pat...