Board logo

Front Roll Bars - how do they work?
Mark Allanson - 25/8/03 at 08:04 PM

I had read that putting a small roll bar at the front of the car will help the handling, I have made one up and fitted it but I cannot see how it will affect things. Has anyone else done this? Rescued attachment Front Rollbar.jpg
Rescued attachment Front Rollbar.jpg

pbura - 25/8/03 at 08:26 PM

In reply to your query, Mark, in my experience, the structural strength will be sufficient for you suspension needs, I would triangulate the brackets, and use polyamide bushes and teflon coated bolts. i could expand on this but my Dad says its bedtime and I haven't finished my homework - its half term next week so I will U2U the full details so you can get your chassis right first time.

Pete

Mark Allanson - 25/8/03 at 08:40 PM

LOL, really - touche!!

pbura - 25/8/03 at 09:02 PM

Well, I about fell off my chair laughing the first time I read your "peeve". When I went looking for it to answer this question, it nearly killed me to find that it was yours!

Really good satire - BOTH times

PS I'm very aware of the geekiness of tech stuff, as discussed by future-builders (like me) or never-builders (perish the thought), but I CAN'T HELP IT!!!!

Seeya around

chrisg - 25/8/03 at 09:13 PM

Nice one!!!

Cheers

Chris

I think it's to protect your oil filler cap in the event of a roll!!

Mark Allanson - 25/8/03 at 09:22 PM

Wrong again Chris, but keep guessing

The oil filler is due to migrate to the rear of the rocker cover later this week

Northy - 25/8/03 at 09:31 PM

Haven't you fitted the roll bar (as in the thing that stops your head getting squased) at the wrong end????!!

And it looks a little on the weak side.

Mark Allanson - 25/8/03 at 09:36 PM

Yes, but as I said earlier, it's supposed to help the handling, but I cannot see how

stephen_gusterson - 25/8/03 at 10:41 PM

Well, its pretty obvious to me.

It looks like a carry strap / handle.

Thats gotta help 'handing' hasnt it?

OR it stops your nose cone microscropically deflecting under aerodynamic loads, thereby maximising dynamic laminar longitudinal flows of nitrogen/oxygen/argon/co2 vapour as it traverses the frontal region of the car during forward traverse of the overall space frame.

Why didnt anyone else know this!

atb

steve

Peteff - 25/8/03 at 11:02 PM

You think the car won't get as damaged if you roll it so you can go round corners faster as a result. I think it's supposed to be an anti-roll bar at the front though Mark..

yours, Pete.

Spyderman - 25/8/03 at 11:07 PM

Ah, of course!
That's where you tie the reigns to isn't it?
I think you got a bit confused, it isn't for handling, it's the handle!
Silly boy!
How else can you use those horses if it don't have a handle for them to hold on to?

Mark Allanson - 26/8/03 at 05:34 PM

Here it is, holding my nosecone 23mm away from the front pulley - finally fitted a pinto under a westy nosecone on a standard chassis! Rescued attachment Front RollbarClearance.jpg
Rescued attachment Front RollbarClearance.jpg

stephen_gusterson - 26/8/03 at 05:37 PM

If you are anti roll, why not try sliced bread instead?

dunno, these people on Atkins diets!!!!!!!!

atb

mr lost it