Board logo

Prop Shaft Modifyers
greggors84 - 29/8/03 at 11:22 PM

Does anyone know of a good and not too expensive propshaft modifyer (sp?) in the south east.

Thanks

theconrodkid - 30/8/03 at 11:29 AM

think its called recoprop in luton,probly wrong but there is 1 near heathrow airport propshaft services

stephen_gusterson - 30/8/03 at 01:19 PM

tere is reco-prop and auto-prop.

cant remeber the one I used, but they told me it was cheaper to get a brand new one than to frig with what I had.

Cost 120 + vat for a brand new made to order part.

Its fantastic to just unwrap a bit and fit it right onto the car.

Unfortunatly, thats about the only time I have had that experience on my car

atb

steve

RoadkillUK - 30/8/03 at 05:43 PM

I bought mine from The Propshaft Clinic brand new.
I took the old one in to be shortened but for a bit more money, I thought I'd be better off with a new one as the parts were 25 years old.

craig1410 - 30/8/03 at 07:09 PM

Try autoprop on http://www.autopropuk.co.uk as Steve mentioned. They quoted me £96+vat for a brand new propshaft around 700mm long to link a Sierra diff with a Rover V8 gearbox. They rate the shaft at over 400BHP so it should cope with anything, except maybe Hicost

It also has a little set of bellows in the middle with a splined shaft setup which takes up around 3/4 inch of movement so it will flex with the gearbox mounts to avoid excessive fatigue stresses on the joints. This also gives you a bit of error margin with your measurements in case you need it. They quoted me 2-3 days from receipt of order and said that they had done hundreds of Rover to Sierra shafts already. They sound very experienced and professional.

Don't even think of using a cut 'n' shut propshaft as this is perhaps the most safety critical part other than the brakes. Actually if it fails you are even more likely to get injured than with brake failure IMHO. It'll cost at least £50-60 to get a cut 'n' shut done "properly" and balanced so is it worth the risk?

Stay safe,
Craig.