Board logo

Sierra diff backplate leaking.
TimC - 20/8/07 at 07:09 AM

Morning all.

I bolted the backplate onto my diff and filled with oil yesterday. I'd read somewhere that you shouldn't use any form of gasket so I just checked that the surfaces were square and bolted the thing on. Unfortunately I've got a small amount of 'seepage.' It's going to be a pain to empty and re-do but can anyone offer advice on what to do to make sure that the seal is good 2nd time around?

I've searched but can't find the answer I need.

Thanks in advance.

TC

speedyxjs - 20/8/07 at 07:26 AM

When i first rebuilt an engine (1.5hp lawnmower ) it had no gasket on the sump so i put a small amount of oil round the edges and that worked really well.
Might work on your diff but it means having to take it out again

The Great Fandango - 20/8/07 at 08:06 AM

Most diffs I have owned (already in the kit cars I bought) had had some kind of gasket between the main body and the back casing.

I believe the stuff on mine at present is that sikoflex stuff people use to bond cycle wings on.

mookaloid - 20/8/07 at 08:30 AM

I used a light smear of instant gasket - works a treat

Cheers

Mark

nick205 - 20/8/07 at 08:30 AM

I'd avoid Sikaflex (or other PU sealants) as they don't fare too well with oil and pterol. I'd either get a sheet of gasket paper and make one to fit or run a bead of instant gasket around the edge before re-fitting the back plate. There shouldn't be any pressure in side the diff casing, but the oil will get pretty warm/thin.

Never actually looked before, but the Haynes manual has a distinct lack of info on the diff. It describes replacing the pinion and driveshaft oil seals and then says any other repairs/overhaul work should be entrusted toa Ford dealer!

coozer - 20/8/07 at 08:32 AM

Better idea, don't take it off, why would you want to? Keep it simple.

worX - 20/8/07 at 09:46 AM

EBAY LINK

Steve

aerobrick - 20/8/07 at 09:48 AM

Having refurbed a few diffs now and the Haynes manual is lacking but after working things out the back plates do have a gasket sealant/jointing compound on them,you may have seen a very light brown film on both surfaces when you took it apart, this needs to be scraped off then wiped clean.

As stated use a good silcone sealant just smear one surface putting the sealant around both sides of the bolt holes bolt up job done.