Board logo

Ive been set up!
Gezza - 21/3/08 at 07:27 AM

Went to procomp yesterday to get my indy set up by Matt & Ivan, what a day, left home at 4 45 am and did not get home till 10pm (m6 traffic) they went through everything camber, caster, track (front and rear) thrust alignment, dampers (all on dyno), corner weights ect. I could not believe how far out a car could be!! considering the chassis is built on an accurate jig. had to shim rear hubs to get rear wheels in line with the car, it was like it had rear wheel steer!! anyway all sorted now.

I would like to say a very big thakyou to both Matt and Ivan for thier efforts and such great attention to detail, they really do a brilliant job and have a wealth of experience as well as a great sense of humour, i want to be their apprentice!

Hopefully now when we go on a track day we will have half a chance of staying on the track.

Once again Matt and Ivan thankyou very much for your hospitality and a great job well done!

Regards gerry

ruskino80 - 21/3/08 at 07:30 AM

have you had chance to try it out yet? or are you not road legal?

Gezza - 21/3/08 at 07:35 AM

Hi, not tried yet but will be out for a blast today at some point, the car was not good to drive hard before , no feeling and twitchy, cant wait for a track day

It is road legal now after sva its taken 8 weeks for log book etc to come trhough but managed to get age related plate now.

gerry

ruskino80 - 21/3/08 at 07:42 AM

hope it drives well and also what tyre pressures are you running?

Gezza - 21/3/08 at 07:54 AM

Thats an interesting point, Matt seems to think that they should be about 28psi for road and about 22 hot for track if i remmember correctly, this depends alot on what tyres are used due to side wall flex ect, normal road tyres have more flex so need to run higher press than track tyres, i think thats right but stand corrected.

gerry

ruskino80 - 21/3/08 at 07:58 AM

i am running 195/60/15 toyo tr1 proxes

pressures are 18 rear and 12 yes 12 on front-this is where my car feels best and i have no tyre wear issues at all

any higher pressure and it starts to feel real skittish.

Gezza - 21/3/08 at 08:04 AM

I dont think its down to wear so much as heat created by low pressure will keep increasing the pressure rather than warming up to temp and maintaining a constant press if that makes sense.
low pressure = more side wall movement that = heat and more press and so on.
but higher press = tyres warm up a keep even temp = steady pressure. i think.
I will have to try with diff pressures to see what is going to work.

gerry

Jubal - 21/3/08 at 08:49 AM

Did you get any print outs etc showing how it's now set up? I'd be interested to see that. Here's mine by way of swapsies. Rescued attachment blink.jpg
Rescued attachment blink.jpg

Steve Lovelock - 21/3/08 at 09:18 AM

Hi,

I am planning on having my Leugo set up professionally when iit is finished and was unsure how much something like this would cost. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for it please?

Regards
Steve

short track 123 - 21/3/08 at 09:48 AM

Hello Jubal
I see the caster is different from left to right is there a reason for this?

Or is the set up sheet before any changes.

Regards
Jason

omega0684 - 21/3/08 at 10:37 AM

hi there buddy,

sounds like you had a very productive day getting the car set up, i will soon have my car back on the road and i want mine set up professionally as well,

my question is the same as steve lovelock's,

how much does a professional set up like that cost? (if you dont mind us asking?)

all the best

Alex

Gezza - 21/3/08 at 11:32 AM

Hi chaps, have got all readings written down for me but dont know how to get them on here, the cost for the day was £260 but included in that was some new springs for the rear and lunch from mrs procomp, wasnt i lucky.

gerry

OX - 21/3/08 at 12:26 PM

they did my car and it made a world of difference on the road and it felt great on the track but just as the tyres got warm i made a nice hole in my engine so i didnt really get chance to give it full beans .deffo worth having the car set up

Paradoxia0 - 21/3/08 at 01:52 PM

Anyone know anywhere local to Spalding/Peterborough who can setup my Viento properly. It drives but I think it would be set up better!

Mark

MikeRJ - 21/3/08 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gezza
Hi chaps, have got all readings written down for me but dont know how to get them on here, the cost for the day was £260 but included in that was some new springs for the rear and lunch from mrs procomp, wasnt i lucky.

gerry

When you consider that that money would buy you 2 1/2 hours labour from a bunch of monkeys in some main dealers, it's an absolute bargain to get that level of service from someone so experienced.

ernie - 21/3/08 at 06:10 PM

You can't go wrong with Matt & Ivan as you say lots of work and lots of advice. The same at any 750 club race day always ready to offer advice and help. my race car was £175 in 2006 and well worth it (do I get discount net time Matt?)

Jubal - 22/3/08 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by short track 123
Hello Jubal
I see the caster is different from left to right is there a reason for this?

Or is the set up sheet before any changes.

Regards
Jason

It's not adjustable. I guess chassis/wishbone "tolerances" account for the difference between sides. If anyone knows what the ideal is for a track biased Indy I might have some new bones made up.

Gezza - 23/3/08 at 11:09 AM

Hi Jubal, after my incident at oulton and repairs, the drivers side is now 7.687 deg which is apparently ok and the pass side is 3.375 deg. I now have to mod pass side top wishbone to match!! Ironic that me replacing drivers side chassis mount for top wishbone put the setting to about right.

If the cars were set up slightly better o the jig this castor prob wouldnt be a prob.

regards gerry

Jubal - 23/3/08 at 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I'd need to know more about what advantages the extra degree or so would get me? Self centre-ing?

Gezza - 24/3/08 at 06:13 AM

It should in theory help with self centre-ing will let you know when i have done mine. Or when i am ordering new wishbones!!

gerry