Board logo

Rear brake problem
Paul (Notts) - 24/6/08 at 05:12 PM

Just been giving the car a once over after Newark and noticed that one of the rear discs was not polished evenly by the pads but still had rust on it. All other sides of the discs have a nice even polish.

Any ideas what’s causing this?

I hope to find time later to remove the wheel and have a look.

Paul Rescued attachment new1 013.jpg
Rescued attachment new1 013.jpg

Paul (Notts) - 24/6/08 at 05:13 PM

Other side looks like this - normal

[Edited on 24/6/08 by Paul (Notts)] Rescued attachment new1 014.jpg
Rescued attachment new1 014.jpg

Mark G - 24/6/08 at 05:22 PM

it happens quite often when a car doens't get used much. Best thing to do is to take the pads out and give them a good clean and make sure they're free to move in the caliper/carrier and then clean the disc off as best as you can.

Put it all back together and go for a long drive using the brakes plenty.

If you're lucky that'll start to clean it up and then hopefully as you drive it more it'll get better.

britishtrident - 24/6/08 at 06:18 PM

Part of the problem is that on such a light car the hydrualic pressure transmitted to the the pad is much lower than it was on the donor and as a result if the rust film is a bit thicker than usual normal use won't bight through it enough to clean the disc.

A good scrub up with 80 grade production paper or if your lazy like me one of these Rescued attachment p4755749_l.jpg
Rescued attachment p4755749_l.jpg

rusty nuts - 24/6/08 at 06:46 PM

Try driving with the handbrake on , that'll soon clean it up

myke pocock - 24/6/08 at 08:07 PM

Mmmm, to me that looks more like a sticking piston in the calliper. Has the car been sitting for some time?

zetec7 - 25/6/08 at 12:37 AM

It's also possible that there's a high spot on your rotor (were they new, or donor items?)...if so, having it turned will cure this.

02GF74 - 25/6/08 at 07:07 AM

stikcy piston i reckon.l