Board logo

GB engineering - no more cheap drive shafts
MikeR - 14/7/08 at 07:12 PM

Phoned up GB engineering to enquire about drive shafts.

They've stopped doing the cheap drive shaft despite the web site saying they do. Basically they have a deal on the heat treating for the 'expensive' shaft and with the price of steel etc etc it wasn't worth them doing the cheap ones.

bum!

Dave Mac props in Coventry does them brand new a little cheaper than GB engineering at 140 quid + they'll also friction weld original shafts even cheaper.

Mr G - 14/7/08 at 07:25 PM

Alternative

MikeR - 14/7/08 at 07:35 PM

cheers, Bob's just been u2u'd.

Dick Axtell - 14/7/08 at 08:07 PM

Dave Macs - Sound blokes. Seem to know their stuff, plus they supply industry as well.

Richard Quinn - 14/7/08 at 08:09 PM

try Jamie at DRD Racing. drdracing@hotmail.com.
Edited to add: Or give him a call on 07799 212427. These are custom made to your lengths not cut and welded. He will also supply lightened cv joints on an exchange basis.

[Edited on 14/7/08 by Richard Quinn]

MikeRJ - 14/7/08 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
They've stopped doing the cheap drive shaft despite the web site saying they do.

How much are the expensive ones?

My friend with the Pug 205 rally car recently paid something like £800 for a pair of custom driveshafts from Sadev! (quite cheap compared to the £12k the gearbox cost though).

MikeR - 14/7/08 at 11:05 PM

GB engineering's expensive ones are 160 each, these are 'heavy duty'. IF you want extreme duty they will gun drill them. No idea how much that costs.

MikeR - 14/7/08 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Dave Macs - Sound blokes. Seem to know their stuff, plus they supply industry as well.

I would certianly agree, very very nice on the phone and local. I was just a little surprised at the price. If i end up getting my drive shafts done by him he'll get all the work.