Board logo

Flocking aluminium cockpit panels
JekRankin - 5/5/09 at 01:52 PM

Would flocking my aluminium cockpit panels be a good alternative to trimming with carpet?

I'm assuming its a bit lighter than carpet, but not sure what quality of finish you could expect, especially when it comes to wear resistance!

Mr Whippy - 5/5/09 at 02:03 PM

think it would rub off very easily, have a look at woolies trim as they have tonnes of different fabrics

linky

hellbent345 - 5/5/09 at 04:19 PM

apparently you can flock anything that is non porous, the proper places use 2 part epoxy resin so i assume it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket

suffolk flocking services does it, check out thier website http://www.suffolkflockingservices.co.uk/

and check out the the faq, they frequently do track day cars door panels from thin aluminium, so worth at least a quote? if you do find out what it cost can you post back cos id like to know but im ages away from that part!

JekRankin - 5/5/09 at 05:27 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that epoxy based flocking must have reasonable durability.

Cheers for the link, i'll phone Suffolk Flocking tomorrow, and will report back with my findings!

Steve Hignett - 5/5/09 at 08:29 PM

I'm not 100% but I think either Garage19 (Doug) or someone he knows does the flocking service...

He may be the posted link above as he's from round them parts!