Board logo

1, 2 or 3 floors?
speedyxjs - 8/5/09 at 06:17 AM

Im going to cut out the floor for the chassis at the weekend but wasnt sure what would be best.

MikeR - 8/5/09 at 06:54 AM

My worry about one panel was if you ever go out in the rain - you've made a nice swimming pool that you can't see.

If you do 3 panels you can make the middle panel go on top of the chassis rails.

(but lose the flat floor effect - unless you box that middle bit in)

speedyxjs - 8/5/09 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
My worry about one panel was if you ever go out in the rain - you've made a nice swimming pool that you can't see.

Thats a good point but that could be overcome by angling the floor slightly?

procomp - 8/5/09 at 07:09 AM

Hi

6mm holes in all corners cures the swimming pool effect. Drill hole and then gently use a round punch with a tapper tapped through hole to create an effective one way hole.

Ps one sheet.

Cheers Matt

l0rd - 8/5/09 at 07:51 AM

I voted for a One panel as i have never heard the wimming pool effect before.

Could please someone explain it to newbees like me?

Guinness - 8/5/09 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I voted for a One panel as i have never heard the wimming pool effect before.

Could please someone explain it to newbees like me?

The chassis tubes are 1" high, so if you have a flat floor stuck to the bottom of them, and it rains, you get water collecting in there. Imagine any water getting splashed around the sides of the gearbox + forward movement = water in your transmission tunnel.

It's also evident in the seating area after a drive in the rain!

HTH

Mike

Daddylonglegs - 8/5/09 at 08:33 AM

I like the idea of the drain holes.

Just wondered if there was any science behind the 6mm? i.e. could they be 5mm or 7mm? (just being awkward )

l0rd - 8/5/09 at 08:59 AM

Ohhh i get it.

I call it "the bath tab effect".

Too early in the morning!!!

iscmatt - 8/5/09 at 09:01 AM

The hole will need to be big enough so that water tension is not a factor and the water can drip out, yet not so big that water comes in from underneath

nick205 - 8/5/09 at 10:05 AM

single sheet covering both driver, passenger and tunnel areas (with drain holes.

Make the tunnel top removable for future access to prop, fuel, brake, wiring lines etc.

Whilst the bathtub effect can be an issue in the foot wells, I really wouldn't be concerned with the tunnel area myself. You'd have to be out in really heavy weather and making an effort to hit the puddles to acrue much water in there and it's open at both ends anyway.

Ninehigh - 9/5/09 at 09:52 PM

Hang on isn't the transmission tunnel open at the back where the driveshaft comes out or am I in for some head scratching?