Board logo

waste of time !!!!
nick-york - 3/2/11 at 12:53 AM

I ve just wasted about two days of time making my dashboard exactly as i wanted it . Then tonight when the engine and gearbox went in . My gearstick came up behind my dashboard lol !!!!! The problem being that the bloke who was helping put the engine in could nt do it last weekend so i just continued with the dashboard . I was very pleased with it but now i ll have to either modify it somehow or start again.Not a total disaster but a bit of a timewaster . I have a crossflow engine with 4 speed box .I was wondering how other people have made their dashboards to suit this . I ve looked at loads of dashboards on here and i think everone i ve seen is wideish and have gearsticks quite well back and out of the way . I ve shortened my gearsick as low as i can to help move it away from the dashboard area but need a bit of advice please ?

eddie99 - 3/2/11 at 12:56 AM

Is it possible to get a gearshift extension? i have one on my type 9 gearbox but not sure if its possible on yours? If not, can you bend the gearknob forward towards you?

dlatch - 3/2/11 at 01:11 AM

if your using a type 9 box (and you most likely are) then get the Remote Gear Linkage which will move it back 5 inches

mrwibble - 3/2/11 at 01:23 AM

if its a 4 speed it wont be a type 9.

it could be this http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-2000e-bullet-gearbox-guide.html

if anyone knows if an extension is available to buy burton power is prolly the way forward.

trialsman - 3/2/11 at 01:37 AM

If the gear box has an integral bellhousing like my 4 speed I would be interested in a remote shifter also. Russ

snapper - 3/2/11 at 06:28 AM

They did do a 4 speed type 9, quite common, I believe the earlier Type E has a similar lever fitment

steve m - 3/2/11 at 09:04 AM

My 4 speed is a type 2, on a xflow, and i had similar problems with the gearlever in the wrong place,

I moved the whole engine and gearbox back in the chassis, and have about 5mm clearance between chassis and gearbox as it sits at the front of the tunnel

No problem with the clearance gap,

Pics of were the lever is now are in my archive

Regards

Steve

Daddylonglegs - 3/2/11 at 09:30 AM

If there is an extension for that type of gearbox then get one. I bought one for my type9 as I had exactly the same issue, 1st, 3rd and 5th were all behind the dash! All fine now though, worth every penny.

mrwibble - 3/2/11 at 02:59 PM

quote:
They did do a 4 speed type 9, quite common, I believe the earlier Type E has a similar lever fitment

post up a pic of the gearbox for identification?

blakep82 - 3/2/11 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper

there is no such thing as a 4 speed type 9 gearbox, the type 9 is a 5 speed box only

type e was 4 speed, and the type 9 was based on the E, essentially the type 9 is a type E box with an extra gear in the tail housing