Board logo

Which grade of aluminium for interior...
jps - 6/2/14 at 09:55 PM

I've tried with the search function as I'm sure I've seen it detailed on a post somewhere, but just cannot track it down.

what grade aluminium is suitable for interior panels, I.e. behind the seats, round the tunnel, etc?

I know the book says 'half hard' which seems to be H4 in alu supply speak, but what about the 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxxx choices...?

Davey D - 7/2/14 at 08:07 AM

1xxx series is pure aluminium, and the softest, and cheapest. no good for body panels

i would go for a 5xxx, or 6xxx grade as they have good general corrosion resistance, and good workability

jps - 14/2/14 at 08:10 AM

cheers Dave, just giving this a bump in case anyone else comments ( not that I don't believe you, but I do like triangulation for a decision!)

also, does having a 5xxx or 6xxx grade mean its unnecessary to specify it as 'half hard'?

iank - 14/2/14 at 08:26 AM

Get the PDF from here http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Aluminium-Alloy_Specifications_42.ashx
It goes into what all the numbers mean. I've found the easiest to get is 5251 H22 which in old numbers was NS4 H3

Jenko - 14/2/14 at 09:18 AM

CARBON FIBRE GRADE :-)

iank - 14/2/14 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
CARBON FIBRE GRADE :-)

Another option if not going for aluminium, is aluminium composite as used for exterior signage. e.g. dibond
Much stiffer than aluminium for the same weight.