Board logo

Dash and interior finished.
zetec - 12/12/04 at 02:24 PM

Finally fitted my new dash and got all the new interior panels in, even new carpet (Big Tart).
Also picked up an imobiliser off Ebay for £2. Thought it would be a piece of crap but when it turned up it looks just the same as £50 jobs. Two protected circuits, failsafe working, remote key tranducer, unmarked cables. The instructions are a bit basic and unknown make (Sprinter?) and you have to adapt your key to fit the tranducer, but works just fine. Asked seller why just £2, he says he has bought so many just trying to knock them out. Rescued attachment DSCF0048.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0048.JPG

mandbsheldon - 12/12/04 at 02:36 PM

That looks fantastic.
Nice job.

nick205 - 12/12/04 at 02:42 PM

Looks fantastic!

Did you do it all yourself? It looks very professional.

Nick

David Jenkins - 12/12/04 at 02:49 PM

I do like the way you've used 'fill-in' panels between the chassis members instead of one big panel - very distinctive.

Looking very good!

David

bob - 12/12/04 at 02:58 PM

very nice kevin

Your car looked good before but we will have to tidy our cars up up if you come over to our meets again.

zetec - 12/12/04 at 03:00 PM

Nicked the idea from the Donkervort pictures I was after a while ago. Very easy to do, just cut the shape out using thin ply or ali and cover, probably easier than doing the all in one panels I had before. They're covered in perforated leather which I got off Ebay for £20, great big half hide.

Wadders - 12/12/04 at 03:35 PM

Very nice, reminds me of a TVR interior.

Originally posted by zetec
Nicked the idea from the Donkervort pictures I was after a while ago. Very easy to do, just cut the shape out using thin ply or ali and cover, probably easier than doing the all in one panels I had before. They're covered in perforated leather which I got off Ebay for £20, great big half hide.

splitrivet - 12/12/04 at 04:29 PM

Really nice Zetec, a credit to you.

Just shows what a bit of lateral thinking can do.
Cheers,
Bob

locoboy - 12/12/04 at 05:17 PM

Zetec,

Thats superb,

How have you secured them in between the rails?

scoobyis2cool - 12/12/04 at 05:37 PM

That looks awesome, really professional. How are the prop tunnel covers held down? I can't see and screws or anything

Pete

zetec - 12/12/04 at 06:24 PM

The side panels are made a tight fit, and each have 3 three inch strips of self adhesive velcro to hold them in. there only light so don't take much, also easy to pop out if need be.

Tranny tunnel sides have screws on the top returns covered by the two top panels.

Top rear (Blue) panel has a screw fixed into the rear edge which pushes back onto a hole in a chassis tube on the bulkhead area. The front is held down by the two set screws holding down the front on the handbrake gaiter cover.

The front section rear is held down by a screw hidden by the handbrake gaiter trim. The front fixing screws are under the handbrake gaiter trim.

All put together so I can take it apart when something goes bang!

krlthms - 12/12/04 at 07:26 PM

Very nice.
You make it sound easy, but it is quite hard to work with leather. Being non-synthetic, it stretches differently in different places. So to get such a snug fit in such narrow and awkward spaces is very fine work indeed. Is this your first experience with leather upholstry in a car? If so, double impressive.
Will you be making a toneau to keep all the nice upholstry protected? Then agin, such a nice job needs flaunting!
Best regards
KT

zetec - 12/12/04 at 07:52 PM

I found it no more tricky than vinyl. I did use spray adhesive which is far more forgiving than Evostik, and as with vinyl keep the material in the house to keep it warm. Also try not to scretch the cover to fit, cut it too big and trim the excess once glued or it will be forever coming unstuck.

Thanks for all the kind comments, always gives a boost to get on with the next job.

craig1410 - 12/12/04 at 08:38 PM

That is one of the nicest Seven interiors I have yet seen. Well done indeed!!

I'm using the same seats, harnesses and steering column and if mine turns out half as good as that then I'll be well chuffed!!

Thanks for the inspiration!
Craig.

wilkingj - 12/12/04 at 09:25 PM

Zetec...

You have U2U.

Nice interior... WOW!!

Browser - 13/12/04 at 12:31 AM

The clocks you used came from whom please?
Very nice install by the way!

zetec - 13/12/04 at 08:24 AM

Clocks from greenguages.com, they have a self design program for options for dial/needle/bezel options. I got the standard small dials and mid size 86mm large dials. Mine are sunk flush with the dash but if you are putting them on the surface you can really only use SVA spec bezel.

pgpsmith - 24/12/04 at 03:58 AM

Zete, baby, that is SO SWEET!!! Oops, sorry, got carried away with internet anonimity... but it IS SWEET! I like the dog-leg joint between the fr and rr tranny side covers. It adds to the professional look. Any functional reason for the shape? Was it a bear to cover the pointy bit?

Regards,
Pete Byar

zetec - 24/12/04 at 07:52 AM

I only did the front side panels that shape as its a real pain getting to anything on the gearbox/prop if you have to take off a full length panel (seat out etc). Covering not too bad as long as you take your time and the covering material is not rock hard after sitting in a cold garage!

[Edited on 24/12/04 by zetec]

907 - 24/12/04 at 09:06 AM

Hi Zetec,

I can't think of the right words to describe your car interior mate.
I'll settle for "Very Professional", but it's better than that.
How about, "Gobsmacking", that'll do.
Well done.

I'm trying to do a similar thing. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be well pleased.

Happy Christmas

Paul G Rescued attachment int panel 001s.jpg
Rescued attachment int panel 001s.jpg

zetec - 24/12/04 at 09:19 AM

Thanks mate.

sgraber - 2/2/05 at 06:23 PM

I have to add my kudos here too. That is so f-ing beautiful.

The standard to aim for I would say.

Graber

CairB - 2/2/05 at 10:32 PM

That's champion.

Does it mean that you won't go out in the rain though?

Cheers,

Colin

zetec - 3/2/05 at 08:12 AM

Being a soft southern tart I don't normally drive in the rain, not too much fun in my eyes. That said I don't think the odd soaking will do much damage. Next project is a hood or at least a tonneau...Dave's flintstone hood looks a good solution.

Danozeman - 3/2/05 at 08:39 PM

That looks soooo nice. welldone mate. Gives me something to aim for..

ayoungman - 9/2/05 at 10:53 AM

As us SE londoners say " that looks the dogs danglies".

I've not seen it done before, have you invented a new way of doing it ? Will it be called

Doing a ZETEC from now on !

Simon - 15/2/05 at 12:43 AM

Very very very very very very very NICE

ATB

Simon

Dick Axtell - 14/3/05 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zetec
I did use spray adhesive which is far more forgiving than Evostik,

H Zetec,
Yep, I agree with all the plaudits, looks very professional. So which brand of adhesive did you use?

Secondly, where did you get the (black?) edge trim for your dash?

Hope you can help.

zetec - 15/3/05 at 06:52 PM

I used just normal upholsterers spray for most of the foam and leather, and contact adhesive for fixing the edges of the leather to the back of the panels.

The edging is just normal tadpole style trim that most companies sell. Got mine from Martrim who did the leather, foam, vinyl and spray adhesive.

Liam - 17/4/05 at 02:24 PM

Oh man that is seriously awesome!!!!!

So you got all that cow for £20?? Did you get blue and black or have you coloured some yourself??

Would you be at all offended if I tried to copy you?

Nice work,

Liam

zetec - 17/4/05 at 02:29 PM

The leather was off ebay, perforated blue, the bloke had loads of them to get rid off, yep £20 + vat, company was called Martrim. I suspect they were for a cancelled order. The black is vinyl and the two look just fine together.

Copy away...i'm sure I'm not the first to do it like that, the side panels are just like those on a Donkerhorf (not sure about spelling!).

[Edited on 17/4/05 by zetec]