Board logo

New seats
MustangSix - 24/7/05 at 01:33 AM

I had a set of seat covers from a 66 Mustang that I had bought many years ago and after measuring, they looked pretty close. This is what the rear seat back and the front seat backs (used as bottom cushions) look like after an initial stuffing. I think I'll finish stuffing them and taking out the wrinkles.

[Edited on 24/7/05 by MustangSix]

madman280 - 24/7/05 at 01:54 AM

The seats are looking really good. I'd given a bit of thought to using back seats like you have but was able to aquire a heap load of black material from damaged pick-up truck tonneau covers. The frame work that supports them on the truck is all aluminum. Saved a bunch of that too along with the fastening system that to the frame. I'm hoping to make a tonneau cover for the seven and perhaps a convertable top (hood).
I noticed a nice neat plastic fuel tank in your photos. Is from a car of some sort or new?

MustangSix - 24/7/05 at 02:02 AM

Thanks. Using the Mustang covers was one of those things that just struck me as I was working on the Mustang.

The tank is steel. It's from a Triumph Spitfire, Mk IV, I think. It holds about 10.5 gallons.

madman280 - 24/7/05 at 02:10 AM

Thanks
The tank looks to fit quite nice.I also noticed your using a Ford six. Is your chassis much different than the book? Wide or longer?

James - 29/7/05 at 10:47 AM

Mustang,

Love the seats- look fantastic, even more impressive as they're a DIY job!

Cheers,
James

Jon Bradbury - 29/7/05 at 03:57 PM

There's a picture of a similar arrangement in my copy of Ron Champion's book, using the seats from an Allegro Vanden Plas (don't ask, pleeease...)

I think it looks pretty good but I'd worry about not having head restraints.

MustangSix - 30/7/05 at 06:57 PM

We have a plan for head rests that will bolt to the rear bulkhead. I found some neat ones in the scrapyard.

I finished stuffing and stapling and the covers look nice and tidy now. And very comfortable.

[Edited on 30/7/05 by MustangSix]