Board logo

Bit of old neoprene and some velcro
givemethebighammer - 25/4/06 at 10:47 PM

My MK seats were starting to get a bit scratched so I finally did what I have been meaning to do for ages. Basically is it 7mm black neoprene that I bought cheap from a wetsuit manufacturer who was going to throw it out because it was not good enough quality. Held in place with wide velcro strips.

Really comfortable too!

Ha , Ha just noticed the seat looks like a grumpy face now !

[Edited on 25/4/06 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment seat pads.JPG
Rescued attachment seat pads.JPG

jonno - 25/4/06 at 10:59 PM

Looks good as well as being waterproof

greggors84 - 26/4/06 at 02:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jonno
Looks good as well as being waterproof

Neoprene actually holds the water in, then your body heat heats the water giving you the warmth.

Kissy - 26/4/06 at 06:12 AM

Neoprene is almost 100% closed cell, therefore waterproof. The bit that holds water is the cloth layer. The water in a wetsuit is trapped between the insulating neoprene and the skin, and as it is a small, slowly moving volume warms up quickly and stays warm. If neoprene was 100% water absorbing it would weigh significantly more when wet.

donut - 26/4/06 at 08:23 AM

and millions of inflatable dinghys would sink!

muzchap - 26/4/06 at 11:23 AM

code:
Ha , Ha just noticed the seat looks like a grumpy face now !

I think most faces would look grumpy if your A$$ was sat on them

Jus' jokin - good work mate - very good idea, one that I might be stealin' sometime soon!

rusty nuts - 26/4/06 at 06:25 PM

Black rubber, very nice.

givemethebighammer - 26/4/06 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Black rubber, very nice.

Well my a*** thinks so. I did 60 or so miles today in the tiger. Nice and comfy.

DarrenW - 28/4/06 at 09:34 AM

Why did you use velcro instead of a more permanent adhesive?

They look well smart. Might have to look into this mod myself. Any decent suppliers up North?

givemethebighammer - 28/4/06 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Why did you use velcro instead of a more permanent adhesive?

So I can take the pads out to wash them or replace them if they start to look tired. Maybe even to dry them out if I get caught in the rain !

neoprene suppliers - just look for wetsuit manufacturers or diving equipment in the yellow pages. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Mine came from a place in the southwest if I remember (either Devon or Cornwall). Failing that a couple of old wetsuits from ebay or your local car boot sale would do the trick.

[Edited on 28/4/06 by givemethebighammer]

SMB - 29/4/06 at 08:14 AM

get em in day glo colours too