Board logo

carbon fibre gearknob
02GF74 - 3/10/06 at 11:39 AM

having just made one from wood, (don't ask - but is due to SVA) I was surprised how light it is compared to an aluminum one I had fitted so that go me thinking.

how difficult or why isn't anyone making lightweight carbon fibre knobs - I suspect most on the market are aluminum with CF covering?

so here is the plan.:
take an ali threaded tube that screws onto the gear lever and fit a hollow carbon fibre sphere over it - light and strong where you need it.

anyone know of anyone making hollow CF sphere about 60 mm in diameter?

[Edited on 3/10/06 by 02GF74]

StevieB - 3/10/06 at 11:54 AM

It's crap when you have a good idea, only to find it's already been done, but:

Linky

However, saves a whole load of pratting about with moulds and bucks!

Peteff - 3/10/06 at 12:33 PM

Make them round a ping pong ball

paulf - 3/10/06 at 12:42 PM

I think it is actually possible to have too light a gear knob, a bit of weight to it makes the gearchange feel much smoother . I had the original ford knob on my car which has a shortened gear lever with a quick shift, when I changed it to an alloy ball type the shift felt much better.
Paul.

nib1980 - 3/10/06 at 02:17 PM

Similar to What paul said above, OEM actually build mass into a gearknob and steering wheel to tune the feel and performance of a car, there usually called dynamic dampers.

StevieB - 3/10/06 at 02:32 PM

Even the reverie carbon items are hollow, and come with a tungsten filled option to give a better feel when changing gear.

You'd be better off with a heavy gear knob and saving the weight elsewhere, like buying some lighter wheels or thinner brake discs.

Coose - 3/10/06 at 03:01 PM

What's wrong with using one of these?

StevieB - 3/10/06 at 03:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Coose
What's wrong with using one of these?

I like that idea - especially since I'm no longer having the paddle shift (maybe)

peterriley2 - 3/10/06 at 04:58 PM

quote:

Make them round a ping pong ball

or just put the thread into the pingpong ball and use that....

zetec7 - 3/10/06 at 06:01 PM

I wanted something that looks like an original (L***S) piece, so I bought a brand new cue ball, drilled and tapped it, and screwed it on. Looks awesome, and has a great feel. And believe it or not, half the price of an imitation cue ball shift knob

peterriley2 - 3/10/06 at 06:34 PM

lol, real thing for half the imitation price!!!

02GF74 - 6/10/06 at 07:14 AM

what is inside a golf ball? I;ve got quite a few of these, hmm....... a Tiger Wooks autographed one ...... hmmm.....

scotty g - 6/10/06 at 07:30 AM

Cut a golf ball open years ago just to see.
It was full of strands of rubber, like a ball of elastic bands.
Where could i get one snooker/pool ball?
Guess i could always swipe one from my local

[Edited on 6/10/06 by scotty g]

Middy Tim - 3/12/06 at 10:02 PM

Ooh. The size and weight of a pool ball is excellent. Wrap it in carbon fibre and you would have a great shift knob.