Board logo

Recovering a Steering Wheel?
RazMan - 25/10/06 at 10:27 PM

This might be a silly question but is it feasable to retrim a steering wheel? I'm thinking about a change in colour and maybe making it more SVA friendly.

zetec7 - 25/10/06 at 10:39 PM

I've done it a couple of times, with success, both times with leather. If you can find some soft, stretchy tanned leather (I bought an old used leather jacket at a second hand store, and cut out what I needed), just measure the circumference of the rim, add enough width for a slight fold-over on each side, and cut a piece long enough to go round the outside of the wheel. I stitched mine by hand (that takes a while), stretching it very taut. It shrunk over a couple of hours, and ended up tight as a drum - better than the original. On the second one, I even used a thin layer of foam inside to make it more padded. The leather smells nice, too!

RazMan - 25/10/06 at 10:51 PM

Cool I've got some Alcantara left over from my dash and it would look sooooo much nicer than plain old black.

RoadkillUK - 26/10/06 at 01:22 AM

[Edited on 26/10/06 by RoadkillUK]

zetec7 - 26/10/06 at 02:12 AM

Does anybody else have trouble with RoadkillUK's link? I felt like I was in a loop...in a loop...in a loop....

RazMan - 26/10/06 at 06:07 AM

Ooh look, a groundhog!

donut - 26/10/06 at 08:08 AM

You can use a horse sadle maker if you don't want to do it your self

02GF74 - 26/10/06 at 09:34 AM

I considered using self adhesive leather tape, the sort that you use on tennis/squash/badminton raquets but never got round to doing it so don't know how good it would be - locost would be to use towel wrap!

02GF74 - 26/10/06 at 09:35 AM

Hey Andy,

What are your plans for this?
Image deleted by owner

other then painting it to be one colour? someone on another forum is planning to fit a haybusa in the rear of a mini!

[Edited on 26/10/06 by 02GF74]

James - 26/10/06 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Hey Andy,

What are your plans for this?

[Edited on 26/10/06 by 02GF74]

I think the general consensus of opinion is spend a fortune paying other people to do the work and then sell it at a loss 2 weeks later...

Sorry Donut, too easy!

Cheers,
James

jack trolley - 26/10/06 at 04:24 PM

Current issue of one of the classic mags. (Motorsport, I think?) has a feature on
Motolita, which shows how wheels are made: fairly low-tech. actually.

RoadkillUK - 26/10/06 at 04:30 PM

Sorry for the non-working link, post deleted

Peteff - 26/10/06 at 06:26 PM

A bloke I used to know made his own wood rimmed steering wheels from 5mm aluminium plate offcuts he used to get from his place of employment. If you had a plasma cutter you could do a flat one easily, he used to cut them out with a drill and jigsaw as plasma wasn't invented then.

Dale - 27/10/06 at 10:10 AM

I am doing my wheel in wood trim as its just a cruiser. I started out with an almost 16 inch mgb wheel and cut the outer rim off and rebent the outside rim down to a 12 inch diameter rim and welded it back together. I just need to cut / route out a two piece wood rim.circle and either glue or screw it together. Definately not sva save but should be very vintage looking and free of charge.
Dale