Board logo

Are thread sizes on MT75 and Type9 gear sticks the Same ?
RichyMkIndy - 22/7/03 at 01:28 PM

im going to get one of those pool ball gear nobs like i saw on a tiger once from here
http://www.epcomfg.com

my cars orange so it will be an orange number 5. what size thread or pattern is it on a MT 75 or type 9 gear sticks?

me and greggors are using a mt75 gear box

thanks rich

Peteff - 22/7/03 at 07:30 PM

I used a green snooker ball for mine. I drilled it and tapped the M10 thread in it. Must get round the pubs tonight, I can see an opportunity here. Do you want the number facing upwards or at an angle.

yours, Pete.

P.S. I got the ball on the car boot. Bloke was selling oddments off at 20p each from the snooker hall.

zetec - 22/7/03 at 08:52 PM

Once you've stripped the MT75 lever down you will find there is no thread. The lever splits into three main bits and the bottom 2 bits which you must use are about 5"-6" and is just a round bar. I got a gear knob from Ripspeed (it's just a plain ali ball) and is just a very tight push fit, no problems so far with it coming off. Suspect you could turn a thread on the end if you have a lathe and die.

RichyMkIndy - 22/7/03 at 09:22 PM

theres no thread ! poo i have an MT75 you see.... oh dear do you think i could epoxy it on ?? would that work ? if i was going to eopxy it would you sujest that i get the ball made with a slightly larger size like 1mm bigger so its not too much of a tight fit and i can get some epoxy down there...

spy - 23/7/03 at 10:42 AM

How about making it a nice tight fit then fitting a couple of grub screws to the ball. It's not permanent then!

RichyMkIndy - 23/7/03 at 11:23 AM

yeah but how do you drill and tap a POOL BALL !! ahhhhhhhhhh

timf - 23/7/03 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichyMkIndy
yeah but how do you drill and tap a POOL BALL !! ahhhhhhhhhh

drill on a very slow speed then tap as usual.

Peteff - 23/7/03 at 04:30 PM

I clamped mine in the column drill vice and drilled as normal. You could hold it in a vice and file a flat on it then drill with a hand drill. They drill easily and tap easily with a fluted tap.

yours, Pete.

spy - 24/7/03 at 02:41 PM

I've just had an idea.

How about threading the bar on the gearstick using a die and then tapping the pool ball with the same thread.