Board logo

Adhesive for Trims . Which One
DeanF - 9/8/07 at 12:38 PM

Hi.

I have tried the search but to no avail .
I have started to re-trim my locost as it was tired & in a bad way.
All was going well untill today & the direct sunlight, The black leatherette style trim that i stuck down using Evo-Stick spray on contact adhesive has started to lift !!
Which brand /make does everybody on here use ??
Thanks

Dean

Pdlewis - 9/8/07 at 01:06 PM

I used evo-stick impact adhesive really good stuff apply to both surfaces itgoes dry then as soon as the suraces touch they grab and theres not moving it.

IIRC its £10 from buildbase but im sure travis perkins ect sell it as well

Paul

907 - 9/8/07 at 01:23 PM

To stick vinyl to plywood I used Evostick Time Bond.

It allows you to peel back and stretch a bit more to remove corner creases and around instrument holes etc.

So far so good.

Paul G

RazMan - 9/8/07 at 01:23 PM

There are two types of Evo-stik.
Make sure you use the environmentally unfriendly version with lots of nasty solvents - much better than the namby pamby tree hugger version

BenB - 9/8/07 at 01:28 PM

Yup. You definately want the solvent version rather than the solvent-free version. The solvent free evostick is rubbish. I used it on my tunnel top and the first time it rained it all lifted.... Grrrrr....

nick205 - 9/8/07 at 01:31 PM

stick it on, wrap it round the edges and staple it down

chrsgrain - 9/8/07 at 03:00 PM

Second vote for time-bond... smells great (if you like that sort of thing!) and sticks really well after an initial short jiggling about time!

B+Q sell it, but its kept locked away so you have to ask for it.

Chris

BenB - 9/8/07 at 05:47 PM

In my local B+Q they have an empty tin which you have to take to the front and get a full one.... Same with the proper contact adhesives and solvents. Of course there's no sign to tell you this.

I went to get some solvents and found the empty tin- thought someone had snorted the contents and put the tin back!!!

Only worked it out a few days later!!! In my defense I'd like to point out that it was a Sunday (brain's day of rest)....