Board logo

DON't do what I did…
Mr Whippy - 23/6/08 at 11:27 AM

I bought some vinyl from Woollies Trim a while ago and used some to replace the torn seat on my 125. I used also some impact adhesive I got from them which did to he honest say not to use on vinyl, but I though they meant it would not stick to it…wrong it DESSOLVES vinyl oops! Yip turns that lovely trimming job into a black sticky mess (if you think silicone is hard to remove wait till you see this stuff ) what a total arse

So don’t do what I did…

David Jenkins - 23/6/08 at 11:58 AM

I found Evostik's Timebond contact adhesive to be OK with vinyl - doesn't seem to affect the material (well, only a tiny bit).

r1_pete - 23/6/08 at 12:02 PM

For the bike seat you need upholstery leathercloth or, M & P do replacement seat covers for most bikes for about £30.

Mr Whippy - 23/6/08 at 12:02 PM

cheers, once I have cleaned up this mess I will try some, on a test piece

main prob is the foam is covered in black goo, was even thinking of covering it in clingfilm before the cloth, hmm

[Edited on 23/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

r1_pete - 23/6/08 at 12:13 PM

Covering in cling film is a good move, keeps the foam dry, and prevents water getting in through any stitching, which eventually rots the seat base - well on the 70's suzukis I've got thats a problem....

Mr Whippy - 23/6/08 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Covering in cling film is a good move, keeps the foam dry, and prevents water getting in through any stitching, which eventually rots the seat base - well on the 70's suzukis I've got thats a problem....

cheers then I'll do that

skodaman - 23/6/08 at 03:14 PM

Just use a staple gun and normal cloth backed vinyl if you've got plastic seat base, but spose it's metal on 70's Suzukis.

RK - 23/6/08 at 04:45 PM

I thought you were going to advise not to try to build a car for 250 pounds.