Board logo

MK GT1
pennpromo - 6/7/12 at 08:46 AM

Well, I am reluctantly having to put my MK GT1 on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4039653.htm

Took it to Castle Combe on Wednesday in the damp it scared me!
It's very quick in a straight line and has incredible levels of grip, I was passing Exiges and Elises with no problem, but going into Avon Rise, before the infamous Quarry Corner, at nearly 125 MPH was just too much for me.
Maybe I am getting too old for this sort of stuff !
I had one spin on a big wet patch later in the day, accelerating coming out of Quarry, but it was quite controllable and I collected it after two complete rotations and carried on.
I think that the Quafe limited slip diff was really good in those conditions.

I know that I have only had it for about three months but circumstances have changed slightly and I just don't see that I will use it as intended on track days.

It's really well sorted now, I have spent loads of time and money on a rebuild, ready to tow away and play with spare wheels and various bits and bobs. Just fitted a new main sprocket and chain too.
As far as I can gather there were only about 6 ever made, this was the original Canon car that belonged to Paul Leggett. It has had the diff carrier reinforced as that was a major weak point plus othr bits of chassis welding.
The one slightly negative point is that the chassis was never powder coated and I have had to locally touch up much of the white Hammerite, but she does look good now.

Price is very much negotiable as I guess its a buyer's market and I may be open to part ex on something slower!
Mobile is the best way to get hold of me: 07740 900227.
SIMON

tul214 - 6/7/12 at 08:51 AM

Hmm, a timely ad?

fifty50 - 6/7/12 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pennpromo
Well, I am reluctantly having to put my MK GT1 on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4039653.htm

Took it to Castle Combe on Wednesday in the damp it scared me!
It's very quick in a straight line and has incredible levels of grip, I was passing Exiges and Elises with no problem, but going into Avon Rise, before the infamous Quarry Corner, at nearly 125 MPH was just too much for me.
Maybe I am getting too old for this sort of stuff !
I had one spin on a big wet patch later in the day, accelerating coming out of Quarry, but it was quite controllable and I collected it after two complete rotations and carried on.
I think that the Quafe limited slip diff was really good in those conditions.

I know that I have only had it for about three months but circumstances have changed slightly and I just don't see that I will use it as intended on track days.

It's really well sorted now, I have spent loads of time and money on a rebuild, ready to tow away and play with spare wheels and various bits and bobs. Just fitted a new main sprocket and chain too.
As far as I can gather there were only about 6 ever made, this was the original Canon car that belonged to Paul Leggett. It has had the diff carrier reinforced as that was a major weak point plus othr bits of chassis welding.
The one slightly negative point is that the chassis was never powder coated and I have had to locally touch up much of the white Hammerite, but she does look good now.

Price is very much negotiable as I guess its a buyer's market and I may be open to part ex on something slower!
Mobile is the best way to get hold of me: 07740 900227.
SIMON

Hi Simon, Yes I was the original owner builder of this car and yes its mega quick. but one point the chassis was powder coated white by MK, but i think it was a bit thin. I have some photos of the build of this car which I will post later today . Paul

pennpromo - 6/7/12 at 09:55 AM

Hi Simon, Yes I was the original owner builder of this car and yes its mega quick. but one point the chassis was powder coated white by MK, but i think it was a bit thin. I have some photos of the build of this car which I will post later today . Paul

Paul, photos; thank you, that's very kind.
Unfortunately there were quite a few rust spots on the chassis where the powder coat has peeled away, I blasted them all off and gave them two coats of Hammerite smooth so it now looks way better.
The car has probably seen quite a lot of action since you had it !
I had to lift the bottom of the dash as I am quite tall and couldn't get in, so I moved all of the switches to the right hand side running down the tub.
I did see some posts about a chap who had it in France on the site, I brought it from a chap near Oxford who had it for about 18 months. Definitely an acquired taste, too fast for country lane around my house !

parkiboy - 7/7/12 at 09:53 PM

Why does this come up after I bought my Indy r! Always fancied one of these I lost out on one on eBay recently!

pennpromo - 10/8/12 at 11:41 AM

Well its still for sale!
Loads of inquiries offering old Sierra Cosworths and other tat in part ex !
So if any of you are interested £9,500 for a quick sale.
Includes:
2005 MK GT1 Hayabusa, on an 05 plate
Body moulds
Covered custom made trailer with ramps, winch and side awning.
2 sets wheels, tyres, (R888s).
Akropovic titanium exhaust, plus standard.
A few boxes of assorted spares inc unfitted Power commander USB.
Away this weekend, (11/12 Aug), but otherwise viewing at pretty much anytime in Christchurch, Dorset.
Usually on my mobile: 07740900227, SIMON.

AdamR20 - 10/8/12 at 12:03 PM

Looks like a great bit of kit, and a good price!

Wish you weren't so far away...

Wheels244 - 11/8/12 at 02:03 PM

Hi Simon

Would you be willing to sell the body moulds ?

Or if not, could you make me a set of bodywork from them ?

Cheers

Rob

pennpromo - 13/8/12 at 07:43 PM

Hi Rob, sorry but I do want to sell them with the car and I have a buyer this weekend- I think, so probably not enough time I am afraid. If the buyer decides not to take them I will of course advertise them separately. Simon.

[Edited on 13/8/12 by pennpromo]

pennpromo - 21/8/12 at 08:12 PM

So having had three time wasters; final absolute bargain price; £9,000 tow it away !